Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: finding an aquifer  (Read 491 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
finding an aquifer
« on: February 14, 2010, 05:34:37 pm »

been of a desert map for a while, but i cannot manage to find the aquifer thats around here somewhere. it's noice that i've been ab le to get to the very bottom of the map with all the precios metal and gems, But right now all i have for water is one small pond i managed to floor over before they all dried up.

So how can i find this illusive aquifer?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: finding an aquifer
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 06:23:54 pm »

Hopefully it's only elusive and not illusive.  Anyway, the aquifer is probably in a different biome near your site.  You could've figured out where exactly if you'd hit F1, F2, etc. before embarking to see where each biome edge met and where the features were located.  If you're not averse to a bit of cheating (you wouldn't have to do much), you can save, pause, designate the entire bottom level of your fort to be dug out, run a reveal utility (like, well, Reveal), and then go up to the top levels and see what tiles are flashing blue.  That will tell you where your aquifer is.  Afterwards, be sure to Ctrl+Alt+Del and end process, because using reveal is known to cause problems if you save afterward.
Sanity is for the weak.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:33:16 pm »

I've actually had an instance where, despite being told there was an aquifer, there was not one.

Pretty sure I posted about it a year or so back when I first started Bladeshoots and encountered the problem.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 06:54:01 pm »

ah ha, found it. it was in a few patches of white sand on the southern end of the area. thanks for the help!
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.