Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how do dwarves breed?  (Read 1887 times)

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how do dwarves breed?
« on: February 16, 2010, 08:23:52 pm »

So I started a new fort with the dig deeper mod (btw one of my dwarves likes orc corpses) and I used DTIL so I could start with 21 dwarves and make 3 seperate forts; one underground, one on the surface, and one in the sky.  I built my airtight transport station to move resources from one level to another (only once per season) and locked my dwarves apart.  The idea being that the surface dwarves (being the lowest caste) deal with traders (higher dwarves don't deign to deal with lesser species) and rely on hunting/gathering/maintaining the herd for food (again lesser species), the sky dwarves are my military (what else can they do up there but train?), and the underground dwellers mine stone, farm for food, make valuable stuff, and work with magma.

Now, my problem is that I have a few intercaste couples (especially among the sky dwarves, only one is single!) and am wondering if dwarves also reproduce by spores like other creatures and the couples can still have children even though they never see each other?

Ps.  If this title makes you want to explain the intricasies of dwarven reproduction at least put it in a spoiler ;)

Pps.  A dwarven couple meets after years of separation.  urist mcwoman: "Honey, I'm pregnant!."    urist mcmann:  "but I haven't seen you in years, have you been cheating on me!"    urist mcwoman:"no, dear, it was your spores"

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how do dwarves breed?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 09:45:59 pm »

Yea married dorf couples reproduce through spores, their beards are specially adapted to catch dwarf spores and filter out all but their husband/wife's.  I'm surprised they form relationships through spores though, I always assumed the back to back parties and 1x1 meeting zone rave caused it. 

Or hey maybe we have it backwards and reproducing through spores causes married couples ::)  Additional Science may be called for. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:52:47 pm by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:22:00 pm »

Yeah I thought dwarves had to socialize with each other to become friend->lover->husband/wife.

Hmm.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:42:34 pm »

Well I am assuming they got married before he finished building sky/ground/underground, so they might have married then.

Echo7

• Bay Watcher
  • Reading you loud and clear, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 01:19:33 am »

I just figured they touched beards -- like the Na'vi, only dwarfier.
Always shoot first.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:13:50 am »

I'm 90% sure that they can't form relationships via spores, dwarves seem to perform some basic social functions when standing next to or on top of (not sure if either or both work) another dwarf. That's how dwarves who work constantly have dozens of "passing acquaintance" in their friends list, they "talk" when they trample another dwarf on the way to a stockpile. So your upper caste dwarves married your lower caste dwarves before you separated them. Weren't you paying attention in dwarf biology?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325