Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using Dwarf fortress on an Eee PC  (Read 765 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using Dwarf fortress on an Eee PC
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:19:17 pm »

first of all is it possiblbe, and which version would I use.  Also how would I run it? Just got an eee pc, and haven't a clue about any of it's functions. Thanks.
Nom nom nom

immolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using Dwarf fortress on an Eee PC
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 05:51:22 pm »

first of all is it possiblbe, and which version would I use.  Also how would I run it? Just got an eee pc, and haven't a clue about any of it's functions. Thanks.
Do you know what model of eee PC you have? If you do I can find the stats for you (I'm assuming you don't know them). My guess is you will probably have a decent ability to play it if you are playing adventure mode. You probably won't be able to handle Fortress Mode that well especially if you get a large number of animals/ beings on the map because the game is very CPU intensive and netbooks generally do not have very good CPUs. You might want to lower the FPS cap so you can run it well.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:04:17 pm »

Don't even bother, it is BARELY playable with 7 dwarves on mine (we're talking 10 fps).  I've been working on rigging up something over ssh.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:42:44 pm »

Better option:
use it to remote desktop to a more powerful pc that has the grunt to handle a few fps. Run DF on the grunty (maybe headless) PC. Are you talking eee pc or netbook though? If you're talking PC then remote desktopping would be pointless.
I know in Sydney you can get second hand P4's with enough grunt to play DF, for free, if you look at the Freecycle groups on Yahoo Groups. Away from Sydney YMMV.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.