Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dam that brook and sharpen that sword!  (Read 1062 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dam that brook and sharpen that sword!
« on: February 11, 2010, 03:40:38 pm »

Ok, so that's the most imaginative title I could come up with for my question post, and I have two questios:

First: I'm in a cold climate, and I want to know, when the brook I'm near freezes, if I were to dam it what would happen to the water? Would anything past the dam dry up eventually? And would the brook flood?

Second: Is spamming "Make rock short sword" a viable economic strategey? I'm early in the game, and while my mason isn't trained in stonecrafting, he can make them pretty fast.

Third (Bonus surprise question!): If it's not a good idea, I happen to have magma (With 3 the three furnaces, but no forge), plenty of copper (Starting to make it into bars), a sand layer, and a crapload of trees. Using those materials can I make anything better?

Fourth (Ok, I lied): Do you like pie?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:46:06 pm by C4lv1n »
I've played a guitar with my penis.

ragnaroki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dam that brook and sharpen that sword!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 03:46:37 pm »

2) By economic strategy do you mean as in making goods for trading?
if so then I suggest that you export prepared meals instead. either proccess sweet pods into syrup. and then cook them or cook your booze.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 03:50:04 pm »

2) By economic strategy do you mean as in making goods for trading?
if so then I suggest that you export prepared meals instead. either proccess sweet pods into syrup. and then cook them or cook your booze.
Yeah that's what I mean, and I have been preparing meals, but I am reluctant to trade them, or to cook my booze, what am I supposed to do for food if I'm exporting all of it?

EDIT:: Is making rock swords still a viable strategey? If used instead of/with the prepared meals?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:53:49 pm by C4lv1n »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 03:54:58 pm »

Brooks are weird, I'm not sure it will freeze (that top walkable layer does odd things), rivers on the other hand...

Rock Short Swords are AWESOME! They are as effective as steel (133% damage)). I'm not sure if they are worth selling though (and because they use wood Elves won't buy them). It would be better to spam make other crafts until the Mason is a decent level and then make the swords (Masterful Obsidian Swords are SCARY Sharp at 266% damage).

You will need better material for armor though, request Tin (and iron and steel and flux stones) from the Traders, Tin will let you turn your Copper (66% damage/resistance) into Bronze (75% damage/resistance). Use the Bronze as starting armor until you can get enough Iron and Steel and Flux to equip your troops with the good stuff (and as a way of gaining experience). Spam Glass crafts to get the cash to buy those things, sand + magma = wood free glass with a low investment cost (Elves will buy it), you will need lots of bags to collect the sand.

[Edit] Or food, food makes lots of money (but it feels a bit like an exploit to me, but thats my opinion).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:02:00 pm by sunshaker »

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 03:57:00 pm »

Brooks are weird, I'm not sure it will freeze (that top walkable layer does odd things), rivers on the other hand...

The brook does freeze, like I said, cold climate, so it was frozen when I arrived, but will it flood?

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 03:59:26 pm »

Yay! I just struck aluminum!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 04:04:42 pm »

1. Beyond the dam, the brook will dry up. Before the dam, the brook will not overflow unless there's a waterfall upstream.

2. If you can make rock short swords, then you're better off making obsidian mugs - weapons have the same base value as other finished goods, and mugs are made in sets of 3 and thus get you 3 times the money while also leaving the wood available for making other useful things (like beds, bins, barrels, or pearlash for clear glass). The only trouble is that you'll have to get rid of all of your other available stones so your stone crafters only use obsidian.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 04:10:47 pm »

...The only trouble is that you'll have to get rid of all of your other available stones so your stone crafters only use obsidian.

:(... god I hate micromanaging...
I'm just gonna make the rock swords, my obsidian farm works well enough that I don't need to worry about running out of obsidian, and I'm to lazy to make a system of obsidian only crafting.

EDIT:: I also have plenty of wood, enough that I acctually need to cut out an area for the wagons to get thru.

But thanks man...

.... :( I wanted to flood everything...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 05:28:36 pm »

Don't worry about forbidding all stones but obsidian.  I'd actually rather set aside the obsidian itself, even though it makes more valuable crafts, because nice sharp swords are more useful than any craft.

I haven't made crafts for a long time.  Food value may be broken, but it's just dumb to have to select each bin of crafts in the trader menu.  I've heard some people make mechanisms to sell, which may be a good compromise (even thematic!).  They're heavy though, so it'll be harder to fit a lot into the caravan.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 05:40:14 pm »

NM, misread your post.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 05:52:58 pm »

Smelt the aluminum and make some goblets.  Aluminum crazy valuable, even if you have an inexperienced metalcrafter you'll be able to make some great value items.  If you have an experienced metalcrafter, then heyyyy!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 08:21:16 pm »

...The only trouble is that you'll have to get rid of all of your other available stones so your stone crafters only use obsidian.

:(... god I hate micromanaging...
I'm just gonna make the rock swords, my obsidian farm works well enough that I don't need to worry about running out of obsidian, and I'm to lazy to make a system of obsidian only crafting.

EDIT:: I also have plenty of wood, enough that I acctually need to cut out an area for the wagons to get thru.

But thanks man...

Create an obsidian only stone pile next the the workshops.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 11:37:13 am »

Or just use this: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=11

It allows all stones to be controlled via the stone tab in the stocks screen. Just disable all stone but obsidian and your crafters will go to town.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 07:09:28 am »

Screw pump tower.

Wall off the brook or build a floor over it so that the plains don't drain back into it.
Build a screw pump and a few water wheels.
Brooks have "infinate" water...

Oh yeah. One benefit of making rock shortswords is you will start to get swordsdwarves turn up once you have made your first sword... they will bring steel weapons if your civ has steel.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 07:37:15 am »

4) depends... Yes to the one with 'e',
                   No to the one without ;)