Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Grrr, stupid gems.  (Read 3305 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grrr, stupid gems.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 12:47:34 pm »

I keep almost all of my gems as raw. Gems are used almost entirely for moods so there is always an ample supply of gems for them to decorate their artifacts with.

Glass, which is an infinite resource, is used for decorating everything in the fortress with.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 01:18:39 pm »

If you had a glass furnace you could have made some raw glass and that would have counted, but I'm sure you knew that.

Actually, I'm sure he knew that your advice is incorrect - raw glass cannot be substituted for rough gems in a strange mood (in fact, moods frequently demand specific types of raw glass instead of rough gems). However, cut glass can be substituted for cut gems.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 05:11:13 pm »

you can get specific material requirements for dwarves who "like" specific materials, like bronze etc.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 10:20:34 pm »

you can get specific material requirements for dwarves who "like" specific materials, like bronze etc.

So some people say, but I've never seen definitive evidence that it's the case. It definitely was in old versions, but it seems the situation is very different in the current version.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 10:24:00 pm »

When you see it, you will struck gems.

When he see's what? your bad grammar?
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 10:35:23 pm »

Come now, let's be nice. No one else felt the need to insult him over it. Beside that, what about "see's"? You should remove the apostrophe.
The sigs topic:

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 10:36:56 pm »

BTW, anyone want the World gen info for this site?

There's Native platinum, Native aluminum, native silver, native gold, native copper, hematite, casserite, Bismuthine, A magma pipe, a magma pool, and an aquifer that i haven't managed to find yet. perfect for a metal-working industry, and I'm pretty sure you can import flux stone.

Sure thing! I'd like to start playing again, and this sounds like a pretty good site.
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 10:39:01 pm »

Come now, let's be nice. No one else felt the need to insult him over it. Beside that, what about "see's"? You should remove the apostrophe.

Your right pal, were all respected D.F. players, i gots to watch myself
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 10:42:20 pm »

So some people say, but I've never seen definitive evidence that it's the case. It definitely was in old versions, but it seems the situation is very different in the current version.

I've seen dwarves demand a specific metal as well in 40d. Its rare though. Most of the time any metal will do, but sometimes they do demand a specif metal.

I see this often because I'm very picky about what materials my dwarves used for moods. For metal, jewel, and masonry related moods I will forbid all materials except for the one I want them to use.

So this way the dwarf will pick up, say, those steel bars as the starting material for his legendary sword instead of zinc. Or the jewelcrafter will craft on a ruby instead of a moss agate.

It usually does work too, but sometimes a dwarf just doesn't want to use steel.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 11:00:28 pm »

I know for a fact that armorers and weaponsmiths will often request the strongest material you have. But that's the only case I know of.
The sigs topic:

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 12:14:57 pm »

I know for a fact that armorers and weaponsmiths will often request the strongest material you have. But that's the only case I know of.

Not at all.

I've had a dwarf request something stupid like bronze or zinc when I have adamantine wafers laying around in the stockpiles. I forbid everything except for the adamantine, but he wouldn't budge.

If they request a specific metal, the metal they request seems to be random. But most of the time any metal will do.

Seems like maybe 80% of the time any metal works fine. The other 20% of the time they pick a random metal and will go insane if you cannot provide that specific metal for them to use as the base material of the artifact.

The percentages are just based on personal experience in forts with strange moods and smithy dwarves.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 02:49:19 pm »

Was your adamantine forbidden before the mood started?

I've had it happen only thrice out of something like a hundred moods, with adamantine.

Anyone have it happen with something other than metal? I've had a guy request cut gems, and he happened to have a favorite (which I didn't have, and which he didn't specifically ask for). He wouldn't grab anything else until just about when he was ready to go nuts, at which point he relented.
The sigs topic:

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 03:40:47 pm »

The only time I've seen moods require specific types of metal is when they're metalworking moods (i.e. weaponsmith, armorer, blacksmith, or metal crafter), and they either demand Adamantine (if I have any) or their favorite metal (if they have one); in every other case, they just grab the nearest metal available. Also, this is all with 40d - I've never played any of the old versions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 03:59:44 pm »

Gems: Creatures that hide out when you need them, and appear when you don't.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 06:10:24 pm »

Well that's what I thought, Quietust. I think it is only armor/weapon, but that is just because I haven't seen any examples of metalcrafting or blacksmithing doing it.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 [2]