Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: making pairs of X  (Read 938 times)

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
making pairs of X
« on: February 07, 2010, 12:44:28 am »

When I make clothes like shoes, or mittens, or leggings, does it make them in pairs? And are they counted in the z-menu in pairs?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:54:20 am by Darkond2100 »
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: making pairs of X
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 01:03:29 am »

When I make clothes like shoes, or mittens, or leggings, does it make them in pairs? And are they counted in the z-menu in pairs?
Handwear and footwear is always created in pairs, but they are treated seperately in the stock menu and in creature inventories.

Legwear, including leggings, is... Well, one object is created, let's put it that way. So you make a "pair" of pants, but it only creates one, as opposed to a "pair" of boots, which would make 2 boots. That's confusing, I know, but essentially it's just that hand- and footwear create 2 objects per job, while everything else creates 1.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:53:35 am »

Objects like gloves or socks that come in pairs are created in twos.

A pair of leggings or greaves is a single item. A pair. Like a pair of shorts.

The english language is strange at times.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:30:28 pm »

According to Michael Quinoin at World Wide Words, pants are a pair because, "before the days of modern tailoring, such garments, whether underwear or outerwear, were indeed made in two parts, one for each leg. The pieces were put on each leg separately and then wrapped and tied or belted at the waist (just like cowboys’ chaps). The plural usage persisted out of habit even after the garments had become physically one piece. However, a shirt was a single piece of cloth, so it was always singular."
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

blur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 07:16:49 am »

An notable exception are artifacts, because strange moods can only create a single item.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:05:51 am »

According to Michael Quinoin at World Wide Words, pants are a pair because, "before the days of modern tailoring, such garments, whether underwear or outerwear, were indeed made in two parts, one for each leg. The pieces were put on each leg separately and then wrapped and tied or belted at the waist (just like cowboys’ chaps). The plural usage persisted out of habit even after the garments had become physically one piece. However, a shirt was a single piece of cloth, so it was always singular."

HA!  I always wondered about that...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.