Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So yeah, sieges are boring to me  (Read 1969 times)

Plastik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
So yeah, sieges are boring to me
« on: February 13, 2010, 07:07:14 am »

Not because i'm good at handling them, just had my first siege in fact. My fortress has one entrance with a drawbridge over a channel, if I raise it..the goblin siege simply stops. They chill where they are until they end up leaving. So the only way I can do anything with a siege so that it actually seems threatening is to lower my drawbridge and send a military unit after them, making my defense measures basically pointless. So yeah kinda ruined the whole point.  :-[

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: So yeah, sieges are boring to me
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 07:17:40 am »

Not because i'm good at handling them, just had my first siege in fact. My fortress has one entrance with a drawbridge over a channel, if I raise it..the goblin siege simply stops. They chill where they are until they end up leaving. So the only way I can do anything with a siege so that it actually seems threatening is to lower my drawbridge and send a military unit after them, making my defense measures basically pointless. So yeah kinda ruined the whole point.  :-[

The secret is to close the drawbridge in the right moment. Also, you can simply chain a puppy or similar next to the drawbridge. The gobbos will want to slaughter it, walking into your forest of crossbow bolts.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Plastik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:38:01 am »

brilliant, also decided to build a hallway of death leading to the bridge that will contain cage traps and go right by my marksdwarves and ballista. So hopefully things will get interesting on the next seige

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 08:55:55 am »

cage traps

interesting

Lolwut?It'll only make things more boring.The goblins will just walk into them and...Here.The siege ended.Congratulations.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 08:56:54 am »

• get the Dig Deeper mod (farming - or better, a lack of it - does often kill off your fortress, also, more magma-safe stones and ORCS ;) )
  • build an orc frying device

• ???
  • profit

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:57:48 am »

a) Don't raise the drawbridge.
b) Rely solely on melee dwarves.

You'll have your fun ;)

(Although I'd recommend to nerf crossbows/bows a bit in general in order to better balance them. I dropped the damage down to 60 (from 100) and still have had a situation where a single crossbow bolt pierced my champ's good quality steel plate/shield and mangled both lungs and her heart.)

It's funny, really. Three super champs (read: legendary armor use) didn't suffer a single injury when charging headlong into 6 crossbows and 4-6 melee goblins but Endok, still with good overall stats, dies horribly to the lone crossbow goblin in an ambush. Note that she had two other dwarves with her at the time, so she wasn't walking into it alone.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 11:01:19 am »

My issue has been the last 4 sieges in my current map haven't approached my fort even with the bridge down. They just stand around and wiggle. :/
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 11:05:34 am »

Get dig deeper, you will never want to see a siege again.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 11:37:14 am »

What sieges really need, and I say this as a shameless abuser of the "Roach Motel" trap tunnel, are "Engineer" units that can build bridges and massive numbers, like hundreds or maybe even thousands of invaders.

The engineers would have to be able to either build bridges on top of existing ones or activate existing bridges; otherwise the player could simply use retracted bridges as barriers.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 12:33:20 pm »

(Although I'd recommend to nerf crossbows/bows a bit in general in order to better balance them. I dropped the damage down to 60 (from 100) and still have had a situation where a single crossbow bolt pierced my champ's good quality steel plate/shield and mangled both lungs and her heart.)
He probably wasn't facing them. As you know, shield has a chance to keep all the damage off you, even more so when it's a good quality steel shield, but it's nigh useless when a stray -iron bolt- comes from behind. This would explain both this and expendable recruit squad behind *wooden shields* surviving heavy crossbow fire for long enough to reach and butcher the crossbowgobs.
brilliant, also decided to build a hallway of death leading to the bridge that will contain cage traps and go right by my marksdwarves and ballista. So hopefully things will get interesting on the next seige
Make sure your ballista is at least 30 tiles away from any endangered tile.
Also, a bit about cage traps. I personally consider them painful to maintain and use, especially in mass, 'cause if you have wounded dwarves or pets that pass out every so often, they'll end up caged for sure. If you get tired of this, construct a pathway of door-trap-door-trap and selectively forbid doors so only legendary squad leaders get caught.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 01:16:57 pm »

What sieges really need, and I say this as a shameless abuser of the "Roach Motel" trap tunnel, are "Engineer" units that can build bridges and massive numbers, like hundreds or maybe even thousands of invaders.

The engineers would have to be able to either build bridges on top of existing ones or activate existing bridges; otherwise the player could simply use retracted bridges as barriers.

What would really improve the sieges would be siege equipment. Now you have the choice of sitting inside and having your shit wrecked (constructions included of course- and won't it be fun when they punch a hole in your magma reservoir) or going out and fighting them on open ground.
This is to make me recognizable.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 02:49:11 pm »

so you make them interesting with elaborate death traps.

my favorite is a set of pressure plate linked bridges over water. I just sit back and cackle as orcs try to run across, only to fall to their dooms after someone makes it a 3rd of the way in. And when the survivors wise up and don't step on the bridge, repeating spikes!