Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: GIANT ANTS! BURN IN HELL!  (Read 7087 times)

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GIANT ANTS! BURN IN HELL!
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 11:25:43 am »

<snips>
If I were to drop constructed walls on them, would they go kersplat?
<snippy>
Yep, you can do it with floors too, which is easier to put up.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

chaos985

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 12:59:22 pm »

Alternatively, they ARE approximately under an undisturbed HFS... If I could wall of a passage, I could probably direct horrors from the deep on them. It would also create more problems than it solves, considering I'll have said horrors from the deep attacking my fortress afterward...

this....

this is the best solution posed yet.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 03:01:06 pm »

Alternatively, they ARE approximately under an undisturbed HFS... If I could wall of a passage, I could probably direct horrors from the deep on them. It would also create more problems than it solves, considering I'll have said horrors from the deep attacking my fortress afterward...

this....

this is the best solution posed yet.

Aye.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 06:16:10 pm »

Buy/trap/tame something bigger and nastier than them - remember in "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" when the giant ant got pwned by the giant scorpion? I also second the idea of trapping and taming them instead. Heh you could even call them: THEM.

Also - Ballista tower.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:20:07 pm by Spong »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 08:48:44 pm »

I think I know what to do.
1. Tame subterranean colony of ants
2. Unleash HFS on problematic aboveground ants
3. Send hordes of tame giant ants on surfaced HFS
4. ???
6. PROFIT!
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 01:31:33 am »

4. ???
6. PROFIT!

doesn't this present the threat of escalation? before you know it, you'll have him fighting the now-insane tame ants with bears riding giant desert scorpions with modded crossbow claws.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

UltraTwinkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 03:19:48 am »

Hmm. It seems my cats pose a problem for me even years after their deaths. My cats had wandered off and gotten themselves mysteriously killed soon after embark. But they left behind about six pieces of remains. No problem. However, it seems that the local Giant Ant population has taken it upon themselves to protect this land by breeding like crazy on top of the remains. What's so big about the remains?
I have piles of Orc bones sitting outside, so I have my dwarves collect refuse outside. Instead of going for the bones, they RUN for the remains and get slaughtered by the ants. I can't even kill the ants with my elite wrestlers, as the ants just WON'T DIE. They're extremely tough, and number in the dozens. It's like an Orc siege that doesn't go away. Due to a slight miscalculation, I have a magma pool and not a pipe, so no infinite magma pumps. What's left to solve the problem?

1. wall off the ants. 2. build a door. 3. build a labyrinth with every tile a cage trap. 4. open the door 5. let the ants chase after the mechanic and get captured. thats what i always do to problematic creatures.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2010, 09:04:48 am »

Hmm. It seems my cats pose a problem for me even years after their deaths. My cats had wandered off and gotten themselves mysteriously killed soon after embark. But they left behind about six pieces of remains. No problem. However, it seems that the local Giant Ant population has taken it upon themselves to protect this land by breeding like crazy on top of the remains. What's so big about the remains?
I have piles of Orc bones sitting outside, so I have my dwarves collect refuse outside. Instead of going for the bones, they RUN for the remains and get slaughtered by the ants. I can't even kill the ants with my elite wrestlers, as the ants just WON'T DIE. They're extremely tough, and number in the dozens. It's like an Orc siege that doesn't go away. Due to a slight miscalculation, I have a magma pool and not a pipe, so no infinite magma pumps. What's left to solve the problem?

1. wall off the ants. 2. build a door. 3. build a labyrinth with every tile a cage trap. 4. open the door 5. let the ants chase after the mechanic and get captured. thats what i always do to problematic creatures.
I'm doing this to capture the subterranean ants. Only problem is that there's about 30-40 of them in that colony alone, and I'm short on mechanisms. And cages, but I have the orcinite to last a few years.

lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2010, 07:48:39 pm »

Could you catapult at them? A safe pillbox is easy.

Capture, tame, breed is attractive because it allows you to have a Red vs Black ant war.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2010, 10:00:48 pm »

And I could possibly NOT train a breedong pair of captured ants, and have bugfights whenever I want...

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2010, 11:00:27 am »

4. ???
6. PROFIT!

doesn't this present the threat of escalation? before you know it, you'll have him fighting the now-insane tame ants with bears riding giant desert scorpions with modded crossbow claws.

BRILLIANT!

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2010, 01:30:43 pm »

-snip- before you know it, you'll have him fighting the now-insane tame ants with bears riding giant desert scorpions with modded crossbow claws.

sigged!
Pages: 1 2 [3]