Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck in the mud?  (Read 667 times)

Lasker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stuck in the mud?
« on: February 11, 2010, 10:16:20 pm »

One of my dwarves went to drink from a murky pool (Not sure why as there is plenty of booze around) and appears to ahve gotten himself stuck - I am getting spammed by messages saying that he has cancelled his drink due to dangerous terrain.  I tried drafting him into the military and ordering him to go somewhere else.  I tried channeling the pond so that it grew shallower - its now only 3/7 deep but he still cant seem to get out - and now he is drowsy and thirsty.

Whats going on here? and how do I get him out?

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in the mud?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:23:49 pm »

Your dwarf fell into them murky pool, right? If you don't have down ramps or a correct set of stairs on the edges of the pool then he won't be able to get out and will simply flop around in there like a carp victim.
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Lasker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:26:05 pm »

No, I do have ramps, he is standing on one of them, not in the main part of the pool. and even more strangely, he occasionally appears one level higher (on the normal ground by the pool) before dipping back down again.

Lasker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 11:00:26 pm »

Ok, he finally escaped and hit the booze.  I still have no idea what happened. 

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:24:26 am »

I am glad to hear he escaped.  If he had hunting enabled, sometimes that causes dwarves to prefer drinking water over drinking booze for some absolutely bizarre reason.  Another possible is that you didn't have enough barrels.  Dwarves' preferred method of drinking is to pick up a barrel of booze and upend it over their head, dousing themselves completely with liquor.  If you have ten barrels with ten drinks in them, you have one hundred drinks.  However, if ten dwarves are using the ten barrels in this manner and an eleventh shows up, he will see that all the booze is being used already, and will go for a sip of water instead.

Yet another reason to always keep plenty of beer around!