Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question I know alas the answer ;-)  (Read 544 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question I know alas the answer ;-)
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:17:35 am »

I'm asking a question.. but I know the answer  ;) Although, I just want to be sure... Because this is a bit silly to have this constraint.

I'm using Mayday Graphic tileset, which is excellent. But some symbols seem (well, are) used for several things. Big example is the Uppercase O ... Used for column and pillars too... So Mayday had to choose and decided that the O would show as a pillar, so that the pillars don't appears as an O.

And my question is ...

Does any possibility exist to have a 1:1 mapping, a catalog indicating that object x uses tile x, so prevent that?

I could edit the tileset but if there is nowhere the possibility to change this mapping, to say that object 234 should use tile 128 e.g, then this won't work... but there must be a way... without recompiling the EXE I mean!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question I know alas the answer ;-)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:40:42 am »

Your right, you know the answer already. Sorry.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 06:48:29 am »

sad... Just found that in DFG21, graphics_mayday.txt

graphics_mayday

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:DORFS]
   [FILE:mayday/dorfsMAYDAY.png]
   [TILE_DIM:16:16]
   [PAGE_DIM:12:27]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DWARF]

[trADER:DORFS:3:1:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [trAPPER:DORFS:5:21:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

[DEFAULT:DORFS:0:0:ADD_COLOR]
   [STANDARD:DORFS:1:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [CHILD:DORFS:2:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [BABY:DORFS:3:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

So there is a mapping of sort... but objects are not listed... Can it be possible to remap them to others icons and redo the letters so they do appears as letters? Something like

[PILLAR:DORFS:3:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

which would allow me to point the pillar object to another icon, so I could redo the O into its correct shape?

I'm sure there is a catalog somewhere... This would be a gross error from the developer (praise to him, this is not disparaging, just that ... every humans make errors ;)  ) to have hardwired some objects to some icons.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 06:51:35 am »

Currently only creatures can be "mapped" this way. There's no full graphical support and there won't be for at least a few years. It's not a goal of Toady to make DF fully non-ASCII for now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 07:18:25 am »

Oooh crap.