Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Problems  (Read 1027 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
River Problems
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:23:24 pm »

I was preparing an area of a river for some water wheels.  To do so, one designates the surface of the stream for channeling out, and the miner stands on the stream and does so.  The channel immediately fills in with water, and all is well.

Today, however, my channeling instructions accidentally caused the dwarf to channel out all the tiles around one tile (which would normally cause the tile to become a 'collapse'), but the tiles below being water meant that the tile was indeed unsupported, thus a collapse indeed occured!

At first I thought that all fine and dandy.  Then I noticed that the area not only was not filling with water, but was draining.  Occasionally, the tile over which the collapse occurred even showed itself dry (the little infinity symbol that is streambed).  Basically, even though there is nothing below the steam (no construction, just solid rock all the way down.  No aquifer, either, in case it is asked.), that specific tile now was capable of being an infinite 2-D well into which the river flowed eternally.

This is SO blatantly obviously a bug.

I fixed the problem in-game (though the bug still exists out-of-game), by using a canal and floodgates to drain the river upstream into a chasm, followed by allowing the bed to dry out (or go down to 1's and 2's), and covering over the problematic stream-bed tile (It still is a stream bed tile.  Not open space.  Stream bed.) with a stone floor.  Immediately the ambient 1's and 2's of water were able to wash over it without disappearing, letting me know that the problem was solved.

Using version 40d17.  Some modifications, but it's all superficial, like added plants and rocks and a gem and some smelter rxns.  Stuff that would not, could not, be the cause of something like this.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:27:47 pm by Pickerel »

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:25:12 pm »

I had an addendum, but I instead put it up in the main post, so ignore this addendum.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:28:49 pm by Pickerel »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »

You weren't using a river, but a brook (which is special in that its surface is walkable and you have to channel through it), and you've just encountered the following bug:

000675 □ [dwarf mode][flows]   (Report) caved-in brook tiles suck up water
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:43:27 pm »

Oh, yep.  Exactly.  Sorry.