Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege thread  (Read 1006 times)

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege thread
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:38:49 am »

Is there a main Siege ideas thread?

With things like:
- Goblin wall diggers (or goblin ram)
- Goblin stairs carriers
- Goblin river channelers
- Goblin bridge builders
- Gobapult (or Goblin thrower)
- Goblin wall-shield carriers (they carry a large wooden shield to protect those behind from arrows)
- Goblin spies (they come in hidden inside trade carts and then they poison the booze and activate the levers)
- Goblin bat-riders

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Siege thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:18:08 am »

Footkerchief has an uncanny ability to sniff down multiple threads on seemingly any given subject, so he's probably better at posting links than I am.

In the meantime, have a listen to Dev Talk #2, which deals, in part, with sieges :) : http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_talk.html

- Goblin wall-shield carriers (they carry a large wooden shield to protect those behind from arrows)
- Goblin spies (they come in hidden inside trade carts and then they poison the booze and activate the levers)
These two I like, though.

Even though I hear crossbows will be nerfed in the next release, tower shields would be a great way to counter the "post crossbowdwarves out of reach on walls and pelt the enemy with bolts as they run for your locked doors" tactic.

The idea of a "trojan horse" caravan has potential, too, and really deserves its own thread.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:03:16 pm by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 11:59:43 am »

Footkerchief has an uncanny ability to sniff down multiple threads on seemingly any given subject, so he's probably better at posting links than I am.

Nothing uncanny about it in this case.  Here are the Suggestions search results for "sieg" (in case somebody titled their thread "sieging" or something).  Many of those are all-in-one threads for various siege ideas.

But yeah, DF Talk #2 is a good place to start.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 01:42:59 pm »

The idea of a "trojan horse" caravan has potential, too, and really deserves its own thread.

Reminded me that the goblins have dwarves and humans in their ranks. They'd probably need special training to be able to meld into enemy societies even temporarily but they'd be very useful for getting in. Of course, we'd need some way to catch them. If they can just waltz in without anyone bothering them no matter where they go, they'll be nigh impossible to fight

Alternatively, their caravan could simply sell contaminated goods and detect traps. I suppose the AI is not smart enough to scope out defenses to any meaningful degree. A lone dwarven merchant shows up hawking a few wares, offers diseased drinks to the gate guards and goes on his merry way

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:39:27 pm »

Elf raised as a Goblin: "Excellent, we're in their Trade Depot!  Time to sell them poisoned booze, sabotage the traps, scout out the fortress, and once that's done we'll signal the siege to attack!"

Urist McMayor: "Elves again?  Please tell me they brought tamed Giant Eagles this time."
Urist McTrader: "Sorry sir, it's all cloth, except for some low grade sunshine."
Urist McMayer: "Pull the lever."
*Trade Depot gets doused in magma*

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 04:27:32 pm »

When a degree of randomness and unpredictability is added to the game so that we get some random traffic past our fortress rather than just having scripted caravans and attacks arriving on a fixed time schedule, Trojan traders would be awesome.

Come on, imagine not knowing about it and having it happen to you for the first time!

:looking at idling wood furnance:
"Dangit, outta wood, gotta get some trees cut... wait, what's this? :drops axe and runs over to computer: Wandering human traders visiting my DF fort, superb, hope they brought lotsa cheese!" :orders broker to get to depot and selects some surplus goods to be dropped off for trading while making sure the on-duty military and lookouts are armed and ready up on the walls:

"Great, here they come rolling in, safely at the depot. And there the drawbridge is shut behind them. I think that unless they bring some really neat stuff I'll hold off trading the gold stuff, I'll save that for the annual dwarven caravan and their steel--

An ambush! Curse them!

I knew it! Been a while since those brigands made an attack attempt! Now let's see, where are they, at least those slow pokes decided to spring the ambush after the caravan got inside, hehe... :hits 'U' key, goes to "Hostiles" tab, tells game to zooms on first Human brigand on list, and watches the paused image...:

... ??? ... !!! ... oh. Oh. Oh! Holy Armok-****ing #ق€@Җ!, HEEELP!

:Cue panic and frantic scrambling of troops as the poor broker and hauler start running in terror away from the trade depot:

Edit: of course you'd need some kind of preventive measure for this, such as the ability to let your guards search the caravan crew and holding on to their weapons while they're inside.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:37:11 pm by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 12:34:38 am »

It would certainly make sieges alot more interesting and harder.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

blur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 03:45:15 pm »

Two other interesting things concerning sieges were:
  -setting the dwarven behaviour when seeing other units, so you can set goats treatened as neutral and the gobbo caravan as enemy.
  -pre-created alerts: A menu like the traffic preferences, so you can set the dwarves behaviour in several cases by yourself, e.g.:
stand down: like the dwarves everyday behaviour.
increased recon: some fortress guards starts patrolling around the fortress. (use: preventing thieves from entering the fortress)
maximal recon: most fortress guards and on-duty military patrols in the landscape. (use: search and destroy remaining ambushers)
combat alert: the whole military becomes activated (use: little sieges)
red alert: every dwarf with combat skills is activated for military and send to a squad, levers with a special peference are pulled. (reaction in case of a siege)