Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are the mods that you think should be added to the official game?  (Read 1751 times)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Re: What are the mods that you think should be added to the official game?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 11:01:45 pm »

Anyone got the link to "Molten Rocks" Some how I always managed to pick the Dwarf Civ that doesn't have access to bauxite.   I added reactions to smelter to make Iron and Steel mechanisms  (any_use for either seemed weird to me because the option to make iron clothes would be there, but you couldn't unless you added thread tag)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 11:24:54 pm »

Thanks!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 12:43:20 pm »

Economic stones and molten rocks. If they were part of the game, there would be a way of labelling them without having to use a dummy reaction.

I'd also like all three iron ores to be given the reaction class 'foobar' and for a reaction to be added that converts one item of reaction class 'foobar' into a bar of iron. Most players aren't going to care what iron ore they smelt, and I have an AHK script that orders iron ore--> steel --> set of armour. By vanilla the script has to care what ore it smelts, and that's sort of annoying. (It's possible to do this without regen, but it requires reaction hijacking. That's part of the annoyance.)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 01:59:11 pm »

I'd also like all three iron ores to be given the reaction class 'foobar' and for a reaction to be added that converts one item of reaction class 'foobar' into a bar of iron. Most players aren't going to care what iron ore they smelt, and I have an AHK script that orders iron ore--> steel --> set of armour. By vanilla the script has to care what ore it smelts, and that's sort of annoying. (It's possible to do this without regen, but it requires reaction hijacking. That's part of the annoyance.)

Thats a mod thats almost worth posting... making it so instead of "smelt ore blah blah blah" that makes iron just having reactions that "Make Iron Bars (from ore)"  or Copper or Bronze, or anything  that has multiple ores that can make the bars.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 02:12:03 pm »

That reminds me of a mod I did on mine.

I made it so that the ores which contain silver as a secondary ore (and I changed galena to be 20% rather than 50%) can be processed in batches of 5 to produce 1 guaranteed silver, but a reduced and randomized amount of the other metal.

If partial bars from smelting aren't in the next version, then that's a pretty convenient mod if you don't have silver nuggets.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 03:55:40 pm »

Economic Stone is a must.
The other mod that is essential to me is one I cooked up. I took all of the stone types and made their symbols more consistent. I grouped the minerals into the same symbol based on types: Soil, Sedimentary, Metamorphosis, Igneous, Non-layer stone, Flux, Ore, Gems, and Other (Obsidian and Bauxite). You lose some information at a glance but it made everything look cleaner and easier to parse.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 07:14:17 pm »

Yeah, that sounds pretty handy. Do you just use the one symbol for ores? I was considering having precious metals as £, and maybe something a bit harder and manlier for iron ore. I guess there's the miscelaneous ores like copper too

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 07:30:50 am »

For my tileset, I've categorized all stones according to function and given each group a different tile. This makes mining a breeze, as I recognize everything immediately. DF is usually pretty good about giving you information, but in vanilla, I had to resort to 'k' a bit much at times.

There's a tool that allows you to disable auto-pausing in various situations. It would be nice if auto-pausing preferences could be adjusted in the game. Especially when designating for mining.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 12:52:19 pm »

Yeah, that sounds pretty handy. Do you just use the one symbol for ores? I was considering having precious metals as £, and maybe something a bit harder and manlier for iron ore. I guess there's the miscelaneous ores like copper too
Only the deep metal had a special symbol. The iron ores had a distinctive color though. Generally, I don't care what ore it is, just whether or not its ore. That way I can spot the ore easily at a glance and plan accordingly.

Once 41 comes out I'm probably going to redo the mod and post it. Ultimately I wanted to reduce the bloat of stone, ores, and gems but there's surprisingly little bloat. Each one has at least something unique about it. Gems may be the only exception, but there's just so many gems it's a pain to deal with.
Pages: 1 [2]