Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: King Succession?  (Read 1870 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
King Succession?
« on: February 08, 2010, 04:22:13 pm »

Just got the King in my fort today, and I'm somewhat disappointed. His wife died at some point in world-gen, and he has no children.

If he were to have an... accident... what would happen? Would a new King be chosen (since there are no heirs) and sent to my fort? Would there just be no more king?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: King Succession?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 04:24:16 pm »

Sadly, there would just be no more king. If you wanted, you could appoint your highest other level of nobility the custom profession of King and treat them like one, but it would just be pretending, really.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 04:28:10 pm »

Worldgen people don't come back because worldgen stuff does not happen during a fortress :(
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 05:15:41 pm »

Succession doesn't occur outside world gen, so if you ever lose that King (and you will, to old age if nothing else) you will have doomed your civilisation to go leaderless for eternity. :P
The fish are watching.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 05:50:30 pm »

That gives me an interesting idea for how things could work out in later versions.  Perhaps you could have your adventurer gain notoriety and fame amongst their people, eventually becoming king by their own hand.  Or baron/baroness.  Or duke/dutchess.  Or count/countess.  The ability to form the nobility class from your own adventurers would be awesomely cool, and would make it that much harder to incinerate them when they demanded you build 3 Unobtanium anvils every season.
Sanity is for the weak.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 06:53:30 pm »

What's that? Grant nobility to someone without a birthright??

PREPOSTEROUS
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 07:08:08 pm »

How do you think they got there in the first place hmmm?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 07:12:42 pm »

Divine Right

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 08:39:58 pm »

Divine Right

Actually, the way it works now, that's more or less correct if you consider the randomizer to be a deity.

It'd be much cooler to have rulers who came into power Conan-the-Barbarian-style, by chopping off the heads of anyone who refused to follow them and basically becoming king by fear.  Much more Dwarven, that would be.
Sanity is for the weak.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 10:41:19 pm »

consider the randomizer to be a deity.

All bow before the random number god!  It is he who grants your left toe, right eye, and left ear to be dismembered via spinning water.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 03:34:29 am »

Divine Right

Actually, the way it works now, that's more or less correct if you consider the randomizer to be a deity.

It'd be much cooler to have rulers who came into power Conan-the-Barbarian-style, by chopping off the heads of anyone who refused to follow them and basically becoming king by fear.  Much more Dwarven, that would be.

I'm pretty sure that's how goblin succession is supposed to work.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 09:00:49 am »

What's that? Grant nobility to someone without a birthright??

PREPOSTEROUS

Still your tongue.  I will not listen to you treasonous talk about King Cacame, the Immortal Onslaught.  He was appointed to be the monarch when he was nothing more than a Guard.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 02:29:52 pm »

And an elf.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 02:37:22 pm »

The lady of the lake held Excalibur aloft from the surface of the lake, her arm clad in the finest mithril showing that by divine Providence I Arther was to be king.

I see no problem with watery tarts distributing weaponry as a basis for government. Whats this crap about true power being derived from the people shit.
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!