Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tartan  (Read 2007 times)

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tartan
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:45:47 am »

Weavers should be able to make tartan from threads dyed with different colours.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Tartan
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 11:57:46 am »

I'm afraid I don't really see our dwarves as the tartan-wearing sort. Although it would make a lot of sense out of those unisex skirts they seem to like, I've not noticed many other elements of Scottish culture in Toady's vision of dwarves. Liking alcohol isn't unique to Scotland, they make no sort of grain whiskey, there are no bagpipes, families aren't clannish and in fact don't even inherit names, and there are no sheep (I've modded sheep, as well as sheep silk, into my raws). While you certainly can pretend a *rope reed skirt* made of red-dyed cloth is a tartan, I don't see it required of the game mechanics to support that.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:25:12 pm »

Compared that Dwarves are Norse in origin... I am surprised how often they basically are turned into ULTRA-Steriotypical Scottsmen

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:45:00 pm »

Neither tartan, bagpipes or whiskey are Scottish inventions.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 01:38:57 am »

i read the title as tarzan....

i don't see what is the use of tartan in DF

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 04:07:39 am »

Different dye patterns will probably be in in the future, as opposed to just straight colors. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 09:06:38 am »

Neither tartan, bagpipes or whiskey are Scottish inventions.

Pasta isn't an Italian invention either but that doesn't mean we don't associate pasta with Italy.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 09:19:47 am »

I'm afraid I don't really see our dwarves as the tartan-wearing sort.

Short, over-emotional, a passion for Arts and Crafts, tendancy to hoard. Then there's those fortresses where everyone's got the woodcutter labour enabled, so they're all carrying blades - just like Glasgow.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 05:03:35 am »

Compared that Dwarves are Norse in origin... I am surprised how often they basically are turned into ULTRA-Steriotypical Scottsmen

Sadly--as a person with a lot of Norwegian and Scottish blood--while the image of a rabid Viking berserker is undeniably intense, their 'Swedish Chef' accent isn't nearly as intimidating as a rich Scottish brogue, even when the Scot in question is wearing a skirt and blowing a beanbag with legs.
For they would be your masters.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 05:23:57 am »

Sadly--as a person with a lot of Norwegian and Scottish blood--while the image of a rabid Viking berserker is undeniably intense, their 'Swedish Chef' accent isn't nearly as intimidating as a rich Scottish brogue, even when the Scot in question is wearing a skirt and blowing a beanbag with legs.
I will sig this for now, then reevaluate my judgement in the morning.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 05:30:14 am »

You, sir, are a man of taste--and possibly severe alchoholism.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 11:33:42 am »

Sadly--as a person with a lot of Norwegian and Scottish blood--while the image of a rabid Viking berserker is undeniably intense, their 'Swedish Chef' accent isn't nearly as intimidating as a rich Scottish brogue

I always find Thor comics to be a lot more fun when you imagine him talking that way

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 01:38:05 pm »

This could probably be modded in as soon as we get custom workshops.
It might not be realistic to have a whole workshop just for making tartan, but it would certainly be funny. :D

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 05:34:07 pm »

You, sir, are a man of taste--and possibly severe alchoholism.
No alchoholism here actually, I just stay up very very late to get a similar effect.  Despite my exposure to DF, I still have no taste for alchohol  ???

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 06:16:52 pm »

I suppose morbid insomnia is as good an excuse as any others for sigging me.  8)