Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Channeling and material destruction  (Read 973 times)

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Channeling and material destruction
« on: February 07, 2010, 12:31:37 pm »

So, if you have a floor, say made of gold, and you channel out the floor, will it drop gold nuggets to the floor below? What if the floor below was already mined out, so it was just an empty shaft? Or does it just destroy the "floor layer"? Basically, has anyone done tests to determine if you can get double the materials through clever mining?
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Channeling and material destruction
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:34:24 pm »

You can't.  Floors of mined tiles don't contain any more material.  Channeling will just destroy the floor and mine out the space under it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:42:30 pm »

That's what I remembered, but I've an awful lot of gold flooring now :P
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:15:29 pm »

Tried it, you don't get any extra.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:46:36 am »

That's what I remembered, but I've an awful lot of gold flooring now :P

Smooth and engrave the floors and turn them into bedrooms or offices for your nobles (or kill your nobles and give those rooms to your favorite dwarves.) Easy way to help keep them happy.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 04:34:54 pm »

Do the same thing with gem veins.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.