Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice + Magma = infinite water?  (Read 2500 times)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ice + Magma = infinite water?
« on: February 04, 2010, 08:18:46 am »

I'm currently considering an unlimited water generator based on the water freezing/melting processes in the game.

The generator is supposed to work as follows.

1. Starting condition. Outside ice block is frozen and rests on a stone floor (constructed or natural). Magma-fall below is not working.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2. Magmafall is activated and in 2 steps it puts a 7/7 block of magma below the ice block.

3. Ice melts (this happens nearly instantly as far as I can tell).

4. Now the 7/7 block of water spreads into the adjacent inside underground empty tile...

5. Where it is immediately pumped into an underground waterduct.

6. Finally the gravity takes over, the magma block falls and the 4/7 (or 2/7) water on the open tile freezes back to a natural ice block.

The cycle repeats over and over.

Since gravity in DF affects both magma and water, and due to it's semi-random nature, about 50% of the cycles will be "empty", because magma block will drop and the water re-freeze before it has a chance to spread to the adjacent tile. Otherwise, the design should be reliable enough.

Comments/criticism/suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:49:34 am by Lav »
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
Re: Ice + Magma = infinite water?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:40:33 am »

quite i good design, my scope of DF knowledge say it should work well. also, try adding some dieing elves because this is DF, elves must die.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 09:12:59 am »

Didn't one of the Sparkgears have an infinite water generator?
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 09:21:56 am »

I didn't track Sparkgears, but google brings Sparkgear Seven. The general idea to use the ice melting is there, but unfortunately I don't have enough time on my hands to see if it was actually implemented during the game.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 01:26:05 pm »

I didn't track Sparkgears, but google brings Sparkgear Seven. The general idea to use the ice melting is there, but unfortunately I don't have enough time on my hands to see if it was actually implemented during the game.
If it was, it probably went hilariously wrong.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 05:58:27 pm »

My ice trap, the semi-automatic orcsicle maker, creates more water than it uses so I have an overflow pipe leading to an evaporation room. It could be collected and used though.

Video of it working.

Explanation of it's workings and at the bottom the full plans for a refined designyet untested.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:19:39 pm »

So yes, magma and ice can mean infinite water.

This is because 1/7 water becomes an icy floor, and 2/7-7/7 water becomes an icy wall, and an icy wall melts to become 7/7 water.  So you can gain a maximum of 5/7 water/tile each freeze cycle.

I read a thread about someone who had a glacier at the edge of a biome and so the edge melted for a month or two out of the year, which mean the glacier actually expanded because the leading edge would re-freeze into more ice than it started with.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 12:24:34 pm »

It was - in fact, there's a movie of it in action.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 01:30:34 pm »

That's an interesting one. The principle is quite different - Sparkgears version is 100% outside and water is generated by wandering 1/7 magma tiles. It also looks quite inefficient (and the 1/7 magmas will evaporate with time, so need to be replaced).

My design still has certain advantages. It only requires one block of ice and magma to work, and these do not evaporate with time. It doesn't need heating applied to the drainage duct as the water is fed underground. And it can be run by 3 pump operators - which might be useful at the early stage if you need water to fill a perpetual motion machine. And it is definitely easier to create than Sparkgears version.

But at least the proof of concept is there. :-)