Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designate animal for recovery  (Read 535 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Designate animal for recovery
« on: February 04, 2010, 09:06:23 pm »

OK, so I've built a system that lets me drain the river into an artificial, underground river, and sometimes my animals wander into the drained riverbed and moat just as I'm about to fill them, and sometimes they just sit there refusing to move. I've found that readying them for slaughter works - one of the butchers comes and drags them into the fortress. It works great (unless it's a pet or whatever), but I'm embarrassed to report that sometimes in the heat of everything else, I forget... to un-designate them. With obvious results :-\ .

So would it be possible to mark an animal for recovery? An animal so marked would be dragged to the nearest meeting hall and left there. Surely would work a whole lot better.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designate animal for recovery
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:22:30 pm »

you could always assign them to a cage and just remember to empty the cage every once in a while.  And I'm pretty sure they path to and hang out in the meeting hall on their own.  Mine always do, anyway (except cats, anyway)

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:44:54 pm »

should be able to actually treat the animals aswell instead of letting them run around never healing...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:02:34 pm »

Animal caretaking heals animals. It's just incredibly slow at unskilled levels. I imagine this will be different in the next version, assuming Toady extends the new healing system to animals.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 03:54:50 am »

I imagine this will be different in the next version, assuming Toady extends the new healing system to animals.

It's iffy:

Quote from: Chthonic
Are dwarves with animal care enabled going to be able to splint wardogs' broken legs and so forth, and in general make veterinary care functional?

It's one of those things that is sitting on the put-off pile and I'm not sure what's going to happen.