Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Curves; how'd you deal with them?  (Read 1249 times)

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Curves; how'd you deal with them?
« on: February 05, 2010, 03:18:23 pm »

Ok, so I'm currently doing a fortress where the ramp to the trade depot spirals upwards around the central stairway. Instead of it being a square spiral like I normally do, I'd like to do it with nice curves instead.
Unfortunately, I like everything to be neat and tidy, so whenever I try and designate a nice curve, I end up getting pissed at it not being neat enough and delete it all to start again.
Anyone got a good way of making a nice curved walkway?
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Curves; how'd you deal with them?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 03:24:29 pm »

I redirect you to Moosey's Sphere Planning Tool.

To make it work for a wagon, just add in a tile on the insides of all your line breaks so every tile is attached cardinally, then surround it by a similar cardinally-attached line on both sides of your main line. This'll leave just enough room for wagons to manuever as 3x3 creatures that can't travel diagonally.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 03:26:16 pm »

Ooooooh, handy.

Cheers :)
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 05:36:21 pm »

Ok, so I'm currently doing a fortress where the ramp to the trade depot spirals upwards around the central stairway. Instead of it being a square spiral like I normally do, I'd like to do it with nice curves instead.
Unfortunately, I like everything to be neat and tidy, so whenever I try and designate a nice curve, I end up getting pissed at it not being neat enough and delete it all to start again.
Anyone got a good way of making a nice curved walkway?

If you designate with "for each tile / tweak"... you can use a script like

condition:
xy_distance_to_cursor > 10 AND xy_distance_to_cursor <15 and cursor_z=z

action:
designate_for_mining

Then you can pretty easily get a nice circle.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 05:51:11 pm »

I just make a circle in paint and copy it by hand. I have never messed around with macros or utilities.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 05:54:06 pm »

I just make a circle in paint and copy it by hand. I have never messed around with macros or utilities.

Yeah, I'm the same actually, but I figure if someone's looking for assistance then they don't plot out their own. I'm not even exactly sure how macros work, although apparently in d## versions (or at the least d17) you can record your own and it'll just follow your keystrokes every time you input it.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 06:52:43 pm »

This.