Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rusting of structures  (Read 1130 times)

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
Rusting of structures
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:21:46 am »

Didn't find anything similar so here goes:
I have a suggestion to add new metal structures mechanics similar to mossing. That would be iron rusting. Now moss patches are created in old fortress I would like to see old iron statues, walls, floors, etc. rusting. Also it could be expanded to bronze and other metals that have colourful  oxidation layers. Although it would not be a huge change it would add to the flavour of the game.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Rusting of structures
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:36:22 am »

I like the idea of rusting structures.

There's an interesting expansion for the use of mechanics and metalworkers here. When not being in use for a long time (about 10 years?), the rusted structures would be worse at fulfilling their purpose. Like reacting slower to triggers, or pumps running slower. And those guys would check and fix your gear.

Another reason to upgrade to really awesome dwarven steel to have maximum efficiency.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 11:14:01 am »

Different metals oxidize differently but yeah, iron should get red and crusty.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:50:24 pm »

There's an interesting expansion for the use of mechanics and metalworkers here. When not being in use for a long time (about 10 years?), the rusted structures would be worse at fulfilling their purpose. Like reacting slower to triggers, or pumps running slower. And those guys would check and fix your gear.

I was basically going to say the same thing. In a non-magma fort, the number of metalcrafting/metalworking jobs are often not sufficient for all of your metalworkers. Giving them repair and maintentance duty gives them another reason to be around and another way to train.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 03:14:31 am »

Sounds like a good idea.If walls are made of out steel or what ever they should be able to rust as well. Rusty mega structure anyone?
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 04:58:12 am »

When's footkerchief gonna come in and say that this has already been suggested? Anyways, it's a very good idea.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 05:55:51 am »

I really tried so that wouldn't happen :)
I think this could be done by raw's tag: [RUSTS:FG:BG] where FG and BG are foreground and background colour.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:18:28 pm »

Copper bars would turn green. Hmm.

Initially I thought this suggestion fluffy, but I often take rusting into consideration when I build bars in waterways and the like. Perhaps this isn't a bad idea at all. Should metal structures, if unable to be accessed for cleaning and maintaining, eventually deconstruct themselves?

Of course, [CAN_RUST] and [RUST_DESTROYS] should be seperate entities; copper 'rusts' but never withers away to dust like iron can. Also the weather takes its toll; when rained on, iron buildings would start rusting X years after construction. But if inside a cavern, iron would last almost forever unless water floods the chamber.

This leads to me wondering if any goals or bloats regarding rust exist, particularly with weapons and armor.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 01:47:55 pm »

# Bloat145, RUST, (Future): Rust and verdigris and so on.
Damn actually missed one one thing: official dev items.

Rojo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 03:44:03 pm »

Hehehe,

so steel does rust

now we'll need more alloys!

Duplex Stainless Steel anyone? A megaconstruction out of that would for sure skyrocket fortress value.

Also, corten steel? architects love that one

%C     %Si              %Mn         %P              %S              %Cr     %Cu     %V             %Ni
Cor-ten A    0.12    0.25-0.75    0.20-0.50    0.07-0.15    0.030    0.50-1.25    0.25-0.55                    0.65
Cor-ten B    0.16    0.30-0.50    0.80-1.25    0.030       0.030    0.40-0.65    0.25-0.40    0.02-0.10    0.40

Classy...

EDIT: Rerranged that cor-ten table from amrok pits of knowledge
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:10:36 pm by Rojo »