Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tilesets and Dwarf management  (Read 3448 times)

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tilesets and Dwarf management
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:37:55 am »

Okay, I am beginning to become overwhelmed by the number of dwarves in my fortress.  My first fortress reached 110 before poor job management on my part led to all the planters hauling stone for 2 years (forgot to tell them not to help with that) and my lack of attention to my stocks caused a mass starvation which led to a temper tantrum spiral and yeah.  So I have two questions: One, what is a good tileset that you all like? I have been using MayDay Green's tileset, but the website appears to be down now.  Second, what dwarf management tools do you guys use? I tried to use Dwarfmanager, but there is a compatability issue with either Win7 or the tileset, probably Win7 and it cannot load my dwarves.  Any suggestions?

Nome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tilesets and Dwarf management
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 01:00:43 pm »

I basically use the MayDay tileset, though I've customized some of the tiles myself.

Dwarf Therapist (there's a thread for it somewhere here) is the current best management tool.  It's an upgrade from dwarf manager and it's less likely to have compatibility issues with windows 7 (I think?  All I know is that I've had less trouble with it than with Dwarf Manager).  I can't even imagine trying to manage jobs without it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:02:49 pm by Nome »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 03:49:18 pm »

This is the version of Dwarf therapist I use, http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/ and it suits my needs perfectly and I found it easy to figure out how to use.  You can read all about this version here - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39229.0

Still trying to find a tileset/graphics pack I both like and can figure out how to use ;p.  But what I've managed to get to work has worked fine with that Therapist above, and I'm running Win7 too.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 04:33:15 pm »

I also play with Mayday's tileset and noticed his website was down when I wanted to download a clean copy so I could play some modded adventure mode. I settled on RantingRodent's tileset as a replacement for the time being. Its actually pretty good.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.