Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heroic Mafol the Watchful Channel, and his many shields.  (Read 4086 times)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
Heroic Mafol the Watchful Channel, and his many shields.
« on: February 06, 2010, 04:22:31 pm »

I just got my first seige in my recent fort Boatscontrol. as soon as the seige started a leatherworker goes fey and begins gathering items. The seige starts and its a normal first go. one squad lots of wrestlers a Swordgob leading the charge. but behind them are five Crosbow goblins ready to kill my troops.

The forces clash my worst fears are realised when my dwarves are slowed to a stop fighting the wrestlers while bolts rain down on them. One dwarf goes down, My youngest worrier, Deler who was a child immigrant  takes a bolt to the head knocking him unconscious. I'm sure its over for him. But then Mafol Bowlfortress appears out of nowhere Behind the enemy Crossbowgobs killing three saving the lives of all my troops.

Mafol, Now Mafol Bowlfortress the Watchful Channel, is known for his Heroics. In spring of that year Deler was still a child and a snatcher grabbed him just beyond the cage traps. Mafol had just made champion and was drinking at the well not 6 steps from the scene and saved young Delers life. The leather worker announced his masterpiece mere seconds after the last goblin fell, Workersmashed a Giant Eagle leather buckler. On it aside from many spikes is a depiction of Mafol saving Deler earlier that year. I made sure Mafol got this item but am now worried that its ineffective due to him still holding the horse leather shield he had before.

how I got the GE leather is another story entirely that involves Deler and his pet Dog Zon. I'm really liking this fort.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heroic Mafol the Watchful Channel, and his many shields.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:38:37 am »

In Adventure Mode, every shield strapped onto an arm has an independent chance to block any given attack.  This probably holds true in Fortress Mode as well.  So Mafol should now be tougher to kill than ever.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 03:01:16 pm »

In Adventure Mode, every shield strapped onto an arm has an independent chance to block any given attack.  This probably holds true in Fortress Mode as well.  So Mafol should now be tougher to kill than ever.
Yeah, each weapon and shield is counted individually. The game isn't built for dwarves to wield multiple weapons/shields, but artifacts behave funky. I once had a dwarf wielding 3 swords(a regular one and two artifacts) and a shield.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:07:16 pm »

thanks for the help, I was worried because the Wiki states that hero holding 6 adamantine swords in one hand is cool, but ultimately makes the weapons useless on the artifacts page.

Deler just lost his closest friend to the latest and third seige, making my losses so far (non-civilian and non-magma related :-\) equaling 2 both to the same bow bold on two separate seiges. one of my lesser known champs who was married when he joined made hero from killing the fiend and has begun to pester his wife for offspring starting the unofficial Birth Off 205. Monom my jeweler is in the lead with 4 children followed closely by Uvard the Pushy Distraction's wife with 3 and 3 others tied for third.

To round this post off, Mafol now has an Artifact Iron short sword to go with that shield with more images of his exploits now of his outflanking the goblin foe in that first siege. and Deler now holds the pride of the fortress Temptedrouts the Bearded Stones, a kobold bone Battle Axe.