Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting stuff.  (Read 1057 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Getting stuff.
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:24:57 am »

I tried Adventure Mode about half a year ago, didn't like it much and went back to regular DF. Since I couldn't wait for the new version however, I started playing it again. And I have some questions.

1) What is the best way to train Wresting, with the least amount of user input? The best way's I've found is to choke something's throat, which does raise it quite a bit, but also kills the creature. Grabbing other parts(at least the ones I've tried) doesn't do anything.

2) Can corpses be used for anything? I tried selling them to a shopkeeper, but he just said "it's nice stuff isn't it? What are you willing to trade?"

3) Can you pick stuff like berries from the winderness? All I've been able to do is light things on fire. Which doesn't seem to have much effect.

4) What is a good skill level to train up to before embarking on a quest to slay, say, a giant?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Getting stuff.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 04:08:11 am »

1. Easiest way is to strangle a zombie after breaking all its limbs.  Zombies can't suffocate, so you can train to legendary wrestling on it.  Although, I've never managed to find a zombie to do this, so instead, I just wrestle anything else to death instead of finishing it off with my weapon of choice.  To wrestle something quickly, press c to open your combat preferences (while in adventurer mode) and press a until the top option says "close combat."  You'll perform a random wrestling move when you attack this way, and if you happen to get into a chokehold, you'll repeatedly strangle.

2. Corpses can be thrown at enemies :)  I don't think they have a use.

3. I think you can pick berries, but it's easier to just buy food from human towns.  Someone else will have to explain how buying and selling works, I haven't played adventurer mode in a while.

4. Sneaking, Throwing, Wrestling are great skills for tracking down things to kill.  Just sneak everywhere you go, practice throwing random objects for a while, and strangle a zombie.  You'll gain lots of stats that way.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 08:14:38 am »

I'll explain the shopkeeper if you wouldn't mind, then.

Human towns have got shops, which are bigger than their houses, but smaller than their taverns.
You can tal'k' with the shopkeeper if they're inside their shops, which they are only during the day, and then ask to trade. From that point I simply look for anything I'd want from them, then offering anything I've got but do not want in exchange. (It's quite a bit like trading with the caravan.) After being done you'll drop anything you sold, and should then search for the items you bought on the surrounding tables. (It should be the ones not marked with a coin.)

Take those, and you're done.

You can also trade for coins, with some keys listed at the bottom of the screen. Your new coins will then end up on a table opposite to the door you entered the shop from.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 03:00:26 pm »

3. I think you can pick berries, but it's easier to just buy food from human towns.  Someone else will have to explain how buying and selling works, I haven't played adventurer mode in a while.

Sadly, no, you can't.  All you can do is light them on fire.

The reason you can't, I believe, is that foraging is a fortress mode skill, and, until Toady puts those in to Adventure Mode (don't hold your breath) we can't pick berries. 

The only way to get food without buying it is to find it scattered outside of caves, steal it from human shops, or, and, I haven't done this so it may not work, but I've heard you can search (L) in rivers to find vermin fish and eat them.

Other than that, if you are starving, you will eat anything, even vomit.  Bloody vomit.  Whatever, you'll eat it. 
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:51:54 pm »

5: Why is all the water I find either "salty" or "stagnant"? Even the stuff from rivers or the well in my abandoned fortress?

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 09:54:31 pm »

Rivers shouldn't be stagnant, and only oceans should be salty.

Fortress water is stagnant because the game assumes it has been abandoned for years.

In adventure mode the only water that is fresh clean water comes from rivers or brooks.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 10:00:01 pm »

Well... The water at the river I tried was stagnant. Maybe because it was the river by my fortress?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 10:01:30 pm »

7: I have a quiver. I have iron bolts. I have a corssbow. When I hit 'f', the game says I have nothing left to fire.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 10:08:24 pm »

make sure you are multi-grasp holding the crossbow, with nothing else in your hands

also, make sure you are wearing the quiver

and make sure you have bolts, not arrows, and then make sure they are inside the quiver

use 'p' and 'r' to remove and put items into different containers.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 10:21:18 pm »

Thank you.

8: How can I wear a sock on each foot, instead of five socks on my right foot and none on my left?

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 10:26:57 pm »

Put enough socks on your right foot that you cannot put anymore on it and the next one will go on your left foot.  Sorry, only way.  Either that or, get your right foot cut off.

That's just one of those quirks with adventure mode, you can tell it to wear something, but you can't specify WHERE.  Heh. 

However, if we could specify where to wear stuff, I'd have all my adventurers running around with pants on their heads and earings in their nipples, so, maybe it's for the best.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 04:33:39 am »

Lol, ild probably do something smilar to that aswell...
ANd if we could tell where to put stuff we may be able to reverse pickpocket people... always good fun
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!