Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SPOILER] HFS  (Read 1893 times)

JesusAChrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[SPOILER] HFS
« on: February 21, 2010, 03:38:31 pm »

Ok, after playing for almost a year I finally found my way to the HFS and to be honest i'm totally underwhelmed.  After getting excited and getting my military ready only two fire spirits came out and were quickly taken down by a couple marksdwarves.  Sure I get some pretty blue metal out of the deal and a cool little torture room but...  I dunno I was expecting more.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILER] HFS
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 03:54:49 pm »

If you had 15-20 SoF, you'd be happy.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

JesusAChrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 04:05:05 pm »

Probably.  I was expecting a battle of epic proportions but all I got was a few less bolts and some ash.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:06:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

JesusAChrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:10:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok that's good to know, I thought it was more of a static thing placed throughout worldgen.  I'll just have to hope for a 6 level one on my next embark.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:25:00 pm »

Hm. I thought they only ever had four populated levels, and that they had 31 clowns, including the ringmaster. Make sure that all of the levels are connected to your fort easily, Jesus, though by the sounds of it you already have. Also check your units list; some of the Clowns may have died inexplicably, and the ringmaster almost certainly did (he can't handle !!clowns'!! temperature.)

And Noble Digger? Unless you're using some wacky mods, you should be able to tell what kind of circus you have. Ribbit clowns have pools of water and craptons of vermin, hentai clowns have absurd numbers of prisoners, plus naughty engravings, and !!clowns!! have charcoal and things, which quickly catch fire. Disregard the bottom level, as it's just got the decoration of the Ringmaster, which never changes.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 05:46:57 pm »

Be thankful. I lost a very nice fortress to the door crushing, spike melting, ambushing, floating, fiery bastards.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:50:31 pm »

HFS is much harder if you don't know its there. On the new version I intend to do something I've never done before; avoid spoilers. Speaking of, dear GOD am I ansty for this bug testing to be over.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 10:05:25 pm »

HFS is much harder if you don't know its there. On the new version I intend to do something I've never done before; avoid spoilers. Speaking of, dear GOD am I ansty for this bug testing to be over.

Same. It's easy to get through if you know how to prepare. I almost consider HFS cheating because of the insane value of the blue stuff and how underwhelmingly easy it is to deal with the clowns.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 10:09:15 pm »

Yeah. Hell, a handful of champion hammerdwarves can take on the whole army of SoF. That doesn't seem right. They should at least catch fire at some point in the fight, even if they're not wearing any clothes underneath the armor. Which itself doesn't seem quite right.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.