Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why won't my new race spawn?  (Read 848 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why won't my new race spawn?
« on: February 06, 2010, 03:20:00 am »

This is my first time modding in a new race. I thought I knew what I was doing, but after messing with this for hours I can't figure out why it doesn't work.

I've replaced goblins with these. One is in creature_standard, the other in entity_default.

Creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Entity:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've generated a few dozen worlds, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't spawn at all. I can't find mention of them anywhere in legends. I've tried swapping out both the creature and entity files with ones identical to goblins in everything but name, and neither allows it to work, which makes no sense to me. I also tried moving them over to a brand new install with no other changes, which didn't help.

As far as I can tell there's no errorlog being generated either.

Please help.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't my new race spawn?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 09:35:33 am »

your translation tag needs to be all capitols

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 10:01:50 pm »

That's because of the forum reformatting it. To make it appear properly, put it in [ code][/code ].

Anyway, I just stuck the SHADOW creature in, and copied another entity for it to use (too many errors in your forum-formatted one). It worked perfectly fine. Evidently it is the entity file that is in trouble.

Edit:

I just noticed: your   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ALL_MAIN] is wrong. It should have a 1-10 after the biome, such as [BIOME_SUPPORT:ALL_MAIN:4].
 Effectively, it means that there is no suitable place for the civilisation to form, so it never appears.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:07:01 pm by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:33:11 am »

Augh. Thanks.  :P That fixed it.

I guess when I swapped in the other entity file it just didn't have any shadow civs spawn by random chance, since I was testing with small worlds for fast-genning.
I got them to work and checked them out in legends and adventure mode. Still have a few kinks to work out before they behave like I want them to, it seems.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 04:52:07 am »

ahhhh