Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Challenging the Gods  (Read 720 times)

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Challenging the Gods
« on: February 01, 2010, 04:40:10 pm »

I've played quite a few fortresses where there simply aren't any megabeasts. Since 3 champion wrestlers can absolutely murder a 70+ goblin siege, advanced-age fortresses are boring. Orc mod, blah blah blah, but it doesn't cover the fact that after a while, your fort becomes practically impenetrable. Even in the new version, with endless sieges from below ground and forgotten beasts, eventually you run out of interesting stuff to shoot, maim and stab. Thus, challenging the gods.

The basic idea would probably be better implemented when the religion arc or magic arc comes around, but it's a fairly limited idea that could be implemented before these I think. Basically, some way or another, you contact Armok and insult his mother power. He gets pissed off, and sends in a monster. Ideally that monster would be generated like forgotten beasts will be, i.e. randomly, but with a new twist- it could come from anywhere. The first time, it could fall from the sky, next, from your catacombs, then the next could maybe transform one of your dwarves into a boiling sphere of blood-thirsty vomit. This monster would be random in almost every way, some would be [trAPIMMUNE], some not, some [FLIER], some [FIREIMMUNE], etc. So one trap or drowning chamber couldn't hold them all. Basically, a challenge that would get progressively harder each time and could be hard enough to doom even the most prepared fortress. And unlike a few other difficulty suggestions, it wouldnt mess with megaprojects or story forts or stuff like that, as the player can simply ignore it if it doesn't fit their fort or would mess up what they are trying to do.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
Re: Challenging the Gods
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 05:36:22 pm »

I think that is a good idea at all, but remeber to not spoil the next version features in your next suggestion ^^

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 06:28:16 pm »

Don't forget the option to build a tower that pierces the heavens so you can climb up and punch your gods in the nose.  Or flood the heavens with magma, of course.

(Not every god would live in the heavens!  But some would.  And it seems like a very DF-ish thing to do -- people already build supertowers.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 06:30:41 pm »

I like where this is going, but "random" monsters as you describe doesn't work.  How do you get progressively harder while randomly mashing body parts and attacks together to create totally horrid aberrations of sheer chaos?  Granted, I like the idea of a "chaos beast" being a randomly generated mishmash of creature parts, but I think for you suggestion we should have a set of predefined enemies - much like HFS has a set of predefined circus flavors and you don't know which one you'll get.

I'd like to expand this so that rather than always summoning just one megamegabeast, you might get swarms of smaller creatures that could be just as dangerous.  Let's also expand this to natural disasters - for example, if/when Toady implements hurricanes, pissing off the big guy might send the flood waters a-comin'.  On that note, Armok could decide that your ocean needs to rest 1 z-level higher than it currently does and watches you scurry underground.

I also very much enjoy the fact that this is optional.  Sounds like a function of a Temple to Armok, which has been suggested elsewhere.  Make a sacrifice, and if it's a bad one, Armok punishes you.  Don't even build the temple, and don't worry about it.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 06:44:24 pm »

Personally, I would be strongly opposed to anything at all referencing Armok in-game, or any move towards making him part of the game world.  Armok is an in-joke to an old game Toady made, not an actual character or deity.

And more importantly, having one consistent god in all worlds would go against the game's principle of trying to make a more generalized fantasy-world generator.  When I gen a new world, I want it to have its own myths and legends generated for it, including its own gods; I don't want to have one in-joke god shoehorned into every world.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 07:33:19 pm »

Personally I think a lot of what the topic creator said should be handled by the gods themselves rather then a randomness generator.

For example can the god be wooed by surviving these tests? Is there a limit to these tests? Will the god just flat out curse the person if they somehow survive?

If a god is particularly capable of just outright smiting the fortress I think the player should be warned.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 08:41:52 pm »

I like this idea. Not just the idea of divine armies, but of gods that demand their minions live in certain ways and whatnot. You could also have a god or goddess demanding sacrifice and whatnot. Pleasing the gods could bring about good events (rescue from starvation, lightning bolts on the enemy, etc.), angering them could bring about natural disasters or even invasions.

It depends largely on what kind of gods we're looking for, 'cause there are as many as there are people. Yahweh/God is an omnipotent being that is everywhere at once and knows everything, the Norse gods live in the Scandinavian mountains and have magical powers, animals and objects, and many Asian gods, to my knowledge, are quite ordinary "people" with little or no magical powers, except from the fact that they're gods.

It all depends on how much we want magic and gods in the game, too. I think I preferably would want a fairly secular world where the mundane (building your fort, trading, fighting orcs and goblins, etc.) takes priority. Then again, I wouldn't mind occasionally falling into the clutches of some meddling god or goddess.

Primarily, though, I just want to see the different aspects of religion itself play a larger role. Missionaries, priesthood/monks doing their stuff (tending to their places of worships, conducting burials and other rituals, etc.), people of different religions interacting in nonviolent and violent ways ("She is a devoted worshiper to Anul and absolutely detests Misha and his followers"), inquisitions, religious leaders demanding you build temples to their gods and goddesses as they gain influence, religious versions of Fortress Guards patrolling your fort enforcing their religious doctrines and whatnot, etc. Religions in the world are so incredibly diverse that there's no limit to the depth that could be added to the game by properly implementing this.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 07:43:20 am »

Every one of the Gods is pictured as for example 'a fluffy wambler'.

Perhaps insulting a God in one or another way should yield a chance to them descending (ascending?) to your fortress in their avatar form. (Which would be MUCH stronger than the regular version.)
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.