Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RTDBot  (Read 2435 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RTDBot
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:55:52 pm »

A while ago, a friend of mine on another board suggested that Roll To Dodge be played amongst the community, except on IRC instead of a forum. Looking at the rules, I saw that automation would be a great help... So I claimed a Programmer's Workshop and created RTDBot.

RTDBot is an IRC bot who is designed to facilitate the GMing of a game of RTD in real-time. He remembers skills, inventories, and currencies, as well as rolling dice and providing a calculator (which is extremely heavy overkill for what it's usually used for during an average game of RTD, I might add). You simply start him up and tell him where you want him to be, and he's there. Data that he stores is all written to disk with a flick of a keyboard. He can roll a hundred thousand d6s without missing a beat, and can remember the skills and inventories of a hundred players. The only thing he doesn't do is write scenarios or provide witty commentary (yet).

RTDBot is an ongoing project, and more features will be added over time. Please tell me if you have any complaints, criticisms, or suggestions; ask and thy will receive (unless I think your suggestion is too hard or stupid; and that's not likely to happen as long as you're reasonable in asking for it).

I haven't seen anything like RTDBot before, only a few little specialized calculators that don't come close to the features and convenience of RTDBot. You will have to make a change to how you do things though; but I think that the change to the more fast-paced IRC system is for the better (no more people screaming ROLL, ROLL, ROLL all the time :P).

DOWNLOAD

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-a1ebbfee.html

Admins, feel free to move this thread if you think it's in the wrong place (or sticky it if you think it's important enough :P).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:04:15 pm by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
Re: RTDBot
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 02:58:58 pm »

MUST HAVE THIS!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:15:00 pm »

Can it read actions and properly secide what skills apply, even in cases of bad grammar, new slang, and unusual phrasing? How about words misspelled then corrected with a spellcheck, however the resulting word is not the intended one? (by/buy/bye, user intends by, types bi, and the computer corrects it to buy, for example)

What about backwards refrencing such as repeating last action or similarily, "I do what he does, but better".

I haven't looked at is, but assuming those limitations, it is probably designed to assist a human rather than replace them, right?
Eh?
Eh!

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:15:12 pm »

im stuck at launching the thing.... it wants to connect to something.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 05:45:10 pm »

*facepalm directed at myself*

I guess I should have included instructions. I'll get right on that...

Can it read actions and properly secide what skills apply, even in cases of bad grammar, new slang, and unusual phrasing? How about words misspelled then corrected with a spellcheck, however the resulting word is not the intended one? (by/buy/bye, user intends by, types bi, and the computer corrects it to buy, for example)

What about backwards refrencing such as repeating last action or similarily, "I do what he does, but better".

I haven't looked at is, but assuming those limitations, it is probably designed to assist a human rather than replace them, right?

Nonono, it isn't nearly as complex as that. It remembers numbers, rolls dice, and does math. It's controlled by the GM though commands.

Spoiler: Instructions (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:07:57 pm by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.