Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ZOMSIM (Working title) Slowly being developed by myself.  (Read 2140 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Re: ZOMSIM (Working title) Slowly being developed by myself.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 11:58:38 am »

Heh, Kevin's thing was my inspiration, but i'm planning something a little more in-depth than that.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 05:55:50 pm »

I'm imagining a simulation where supply scavenging is important, and humans organize into bands that set up headquarters, send out scouting parties, and then send out larger raiding parties once they find good enough supplies to loot--or even travel as one big group to move their headquarters to the new location.  Got children/civvies with you?  Better clear the path ahead of time!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 06:23:06 pm »

Correct, sowelu, that is the plan.

Something realistic, but it'll start small.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 06:33:19 pm »

Here's a couple thematic questions--because I'm curious and because hey, they're good to think about:

1) What's the time scale/location of the simulation?  Almost all zombie movies are set within days of the zombie outbreak becoming a true pandemic.  Exceptions are 28 Days/Weeks Later, and...um, I can't think of a second one right now.  Now, presumably you want to simulate an actual survival scenario, which if it's going to be interesting, probably means in the city, after it's already been looted and people have fled...otherwise you'll be simulating hundreds of thousands of people and that's just no fun.

2) What are the zombies actually LIKE?  Are they shambling zombies with super-strength that try to kill you, or are they fast zombies?  Does the infection spread through bodily fluids, or is it the true classic approach where everyone rises from the dead, and there's no infection except for death itself?

It does seem like a skilled and well-equipped group of survivors would make the simulation pretty uninteresting, unless it was very large scale.  I mean, eventually your rag-tag group of survivors is going to work their way into a gun store or a military ammo depot, at which point, well, they kind of win, don't they?  Eventually you run out of zombies.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 06:35:18 pm »

Got children/civvies with you?  Better clear the path ahead of time!

Or send them out alone as bait. :P

Are you going to have other groups of survivors? Because that would make it alot more interesting. :D

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 06:37:24 pm »

Well, i was planning on having the game start from the beginning, with the initial infection, with an option to skip forward on the boring parts.

Also: I was planning on having zombie-type a settable variable. Anyway, most of the non-idiots will be killed like everyone else when people have no idea what's happening.

I wasnt hoping to just focus on one group, it's a simulator for a full-scale thing, but you can follow people around and whatnot if you want.

I guess i could also set that though, following a group of badasses.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 07:33:19 pm »

Interesting...  would it be possible for the player to name different groups?  Or for them to name themselves?

How indepth would the information be on groups? And the individuals in groups?
Profession, personality(lots of variables here...), shock/brokenness/desperate(variable effects on personality types, how many people are lost from group/friends within group/family(?), and supplies available) for example...

Certain personalities are more likely to become leader... but it also depends on their desperate/shock/brokenness factor.  The more desperate they are, the more likely the chosen leader is also and the more likely they'll fight with other groups they meet for their resources...
Groups can also split from disagreements...

This would be awesome.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 08:03:08 pm »

Sounds cool.  Hope you get it up and running!

Also, this seems like it might be related a mite.  In that it's a zombie sim, anyway.

Would be nice if survivors could haul around objects to make barricades, or holing up in buildings and such, but I'd rather see a bare bones sorta thing before something like that gets thrown in to complicate stuff.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 10:33:04 pm »

Sounds cool.  Hope you get it up and running!

Also, this seems like it might be related a mite.  In that it's a zombie sim, anyway.

Would be nice if survivors could haul around objects to make barricades, or holing up in buildings and such, but I'd rather see a bare bones sorta thing before something like that gets thrown in to complicate stuff.

Eh, doesn't seem right... civs walking around casually when people nearby are getting shot...  cops are well within gunshot hearing range...  civs reading newspapers while people nearby are getting eating or shooting at zeds...

I want to see something more indepth... >.>
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 02:35:54 am »

Nothing that exists is currently much good, that one there is the best, though.

I'd preferably want everyone with a personality, similar to DF, with a combat system that's similar, too.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 05:24:48 pm »

Nothing that exists is currently much good, that one there is the best, though.

I'd preferably want everyone with a personality, similar to DF, with a combat system that's similar, too.
I approve your ambition.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 11:42:29 pm »

Good luck and such and such.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false
Pages: 1 [2]