Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expanded Dwarven Vocabulary  (Read 2362 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Expanded Dwarven Vocabulary
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:10:47 am »

Increase the amount of words with Dwarven translations. Consider that "hewn" doesn't have a translation yet. Or "carved". More words means that you could have even crazier (or more sensible) names for your fortresses.

Doomshifter, time to say something.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Wiiking

• Bay Watcher
  • Overproducing plump helmets
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded Dwarven Vocabulary
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 08:12:43 am »

I'd like this. I would love it if we would one day have a complete dwarven language, which one could learn and start speaking :D Still I don't think this is a very important issue right now. But I too would like to see more.
"He's Wiiking. He can do anything." -Metabie
"What Wiiking did was quite smart." -Dare
"Wiiking hits it right on the nail if you ask me." -Nedstar
"Wiiking is supah powah!" -Shotking

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 08:20:34 am »

There is a Bloat on Languages with Gramatics etc. and toady enriches the Language files on a regular basis iirc.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:30:44 am »

Hmm? Why me? CURSE YOU UNGULATEMAN! I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED FOR... SOME REASON.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 11:44:11 am »

he justr likes your avatar ;)
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 06:22:45 pm »

Wait, what? I meant that guy who always pops up and says "this has been done before". I swore he/she was called Doomshifter for some reason.

Now what WAS his name...?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 06:25:16 pm »

Hmmm... are you talking about Footkerchief?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 09:42:23 pm »

Sometimes, it gets a little annoying. And yes, it's definitely footkerchief.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 10:30:02 pm »

This could be easily subcontracted out to the community in a similar way to the Small Things mod (which increases the images that appear when engraving and adventure mode conversations).

Toady could ask someone willing to contribute his/her time to make a list of words, formatted accordingly, which would be run through Toady's random word generator/language generation algorithm and copied into the current dictionaries.

The gathering and translation of words could take place separately from the development arcs, and be incorporated into the main version on each version release.

Edit: maybe someone should actually e-mail this to Toady as a suggestion instead of leaving it to rot here. Not me though.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:31:56 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 01:12:53 am »

Wait, what? I meant that guy who always pops up and says "this has been done before". I swore he/she was called Doomshifter for some reason.

Now what WAS his name...?
Yeah, it's totally Footkerchief. I'm many, many thousands of times lazier than that dude.

I think Footkerchief may be omniscient. He appears in threads, throws down some carefully researched comment and a bunch of links and doesn't afraid of anything. He's a pretty cool dude.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 02:21:11 am »

...who doesn't afraid of anything.

Yeah, sorry for wasting your time, Inuit booby lady.

(It's a movie reference, natch.)