Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entities  (Read 644 times)

SugaSuga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entities
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:10:28 pm »

When youre looking at the world screen, I know that the i things mean elf villages, but: what do all the different human town symbols mean? (# *). Also, is there a way to know if what youre looking at is ruins, or if it was a dwarf town and was conquered by goblins or orcs or something, how do you know?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Entities
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:15:27 pm »

The larger the little symbol denotes the amount of people. # means a pretty large human town. Anything larger is like a city.

Check the roads. That's pretty much the only way, and it only really works for elven retreats because elves do not naturally build roads.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 07:16:57 pm »

The crown symbol (at least in Mayday graphics) represents ruins while the various human town symbols represent population levels. Not sure about that.

For the second part, you're going to have to look at legends.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 07:19:39 pm »

Oh, and ruins are designated (all races) by a funny "u" shaped symbol.

I can't remember its proper name for my life, but essentially it looks like a u. Yellow u's are elvenm retreats, white u's are human and your own abandoned settlements and white/grey u's on mountains are goblins/dwarves.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:30:32 pm »

It's a Greek mi for ruins, like a u with a long tail on the left side.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

SugaSuga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 07:43:04 pm »

Thanks, that cleared up alot

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 08:34:44 pm »

From what I can tell, it goes something like this:

μ = abandoned (no inhabitants)
+ = hovel (1-15 inhabitants)
☼ = town (15-30 inhabitants)
# = city (30+ inhabitants)

It's kind of rare to see towns or hovels, unless you're fond of going on killing sprees.
Sanity is for the weak.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 04:49:20 am »

I think you got town and city mixed up there; I'm fairly sure the dorfbux symbol is a bigger town than the hash.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 04:12:07 pm »

I think you got town and city mixed up there; I'm fairly sure the dorfbux symbol is a bigger town than the hash.

They are mixed up. The # designates a town. The other designates a city (with temple and some form of palace, usually)

EDIT: not a kings palace, but a palace in general.