Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Old Games Nostalgia Thread  (Read 5473 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: The Old Games Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2010, 08:43:45 pm »

That was an awesome game precisely because it was waaay more complicated than it first lets on, or than it's technology should really have let it be.  I played the game for years before I had any real understanding of what the sliders were for, and I never mastered any of the weird little tools like that.

Of course, I mostly just focused on bionic leg upgrades and enthralling as much of each city as possible with Persuadertrons.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2010, 08:48:51 pm »

That Persuadertron is why I learned the word "minion" at the age of 7.  ;D

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2010, 10:01:23 pm »

I see Ultima VII was mentioned. Loved that game. Really, the whole Ultima series was great. I remember VII the most, though - since I played it as a kid on my older brother's lap. He had this huge map he had drawn of the world with all the locations marked haha.

Ultima VI can be played in Dosbox just fine, since it's turn based. I replayed VI, VII part 1 and 2, and VIII a few years ago. I played U6 in Dosbox, U7 using the Exult remake, and U8 I think I played on vdmsound? Been a while. I have the whole collection on a CD, as well as old floppies for some of the individual ones.

Ultima V and VI were also both remade using the dungeon siege engine - VI is still in beta, but very playable. They're at u5lazarus.com and u6project.com. I bought DS just for those remakes, but it was worth it :)

I also see Outpost and Outpost 2 mentioned. Great games. I still have my Outpost 2 CD, but I never could find another copy of Outpost 1 after I lost mine many years ago.

Lords of the Realm is another good one, as well as Lords of the Realm II. When I was a kid I played II online with some friends - fun game. Lords of Magic is somewhat similar with a fantasy setting, I played it a lot online too.

Oh, and *someone's* avatar just reminded me of another great game. Full Throttle. ;D I played that game to death. I loved the area where you used the little bunnies on the mine field, and later in the game where you could toss the bunnies into the car's fan and hear them get chopped up. (-edit- I should probably mention that they were little battery operated bunnies, not real bunnies, else someone mistake the game for some kind of sadistic simulator).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:04:49 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2010, 10:36:11 pm »

To this day, I have probably never spent as much time on a game as I have on Civilization II.
The only reason I ever stopped is that my computer got fried and I ended up stuck with a crappy Mac.
I probably still have the disk somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]