Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first adventure  (Read 1191 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
My first adventure
« on: February 04, 2010, 07:56:02 pm »

Was a short one filled with ~20 minutes of boredom, punctuated by 2 minutes of awesomeness and fail.

I start and somehow missed where I get to buy skills. So there I am. Naked, weaponless and skill-less. I follow the main road for a while seeing no one and nothing. Eventually I find a Trade Liason and figure sweet, I've found civilization.

I wander into a dwarf hold and spend the next ~5 wandering around vast empty rooms, occasionally talking to people who aren't the ones who can give me a quest.

I figure, keep going down, that's dwarfy. Someone important will be down there.

Heh.

After finding a rough hewn tunnel with a pair of guards, I figure I'm getting SOMEWHERE. Somewhere apparently is the longest tunnel to nowhere ever. I found a chasm or two, chased some mole dogs out of desperation, hunger and thirst, and generally started to despair.

That's when a Mole Dog was kind enough to attack me instead. After a crash course in wrestling with the Mole Dog's head as training device, the fight actually started. And there's almost nothing cool you can do with zero wrestling skill.

After punching the mole rat in the left leg so many times I'm surprised it was still there, it finally died. Elated, I tried to drink it's blood, but alas, even in a dark tunnel starving to death, my human found it offensive.

But at least I had a dead mole dog now. I was torn on whether to wield it or wear it as a hat, but in the next tunnel a Gremlin made my decision for me.

Things pretty much went downhill from there. The Gremlin danced circles around me and repeatedly bit me in the throat from behind. I'm surprised how long it took me to die.

It's like, I want to like adventure mode, and will try it more, but was pretty much instantly turned off by the scale of the mass-generated emptiness. For a while I was seriously worried about starving to death or dying of thirst before something interesting happened. The fort I traveled through could have housed 500 dwarves easily.

I kept wanting one of the guards to say "This is the tunnel of eternal walking" or "This is the pan-continental tunnel" or "This is our really crappy mine"

The combat was fun, and I'm sure everything is more fun with more stuff...But the amount of bland emptiness you have to go through to get to something interesting surprised me.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:59:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: My first adventure
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:06:10 pm »

Yeah it is really empty now. Toady plans on expanding it, but so far, its only value is exploring your own fort, and getting lost.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:12:24 pm »

Well, I can see why you were turned off ... you went straight for 3 of the most difficult AND bland things in adventure mode.

First, you created a "play now" character instead of choosing a person from a town, which, along with making you naked and skill-less, also gives you no map knowledge or anything whatsoever of the world.

Secondly, you had the misfortune of wandering into an underground tunnel, which is probably the worst part of adventure mode at the moment and is to be AVOIDED at all costs, unless you want to give yourself some sort of XBox live achievement type thing for "I walked a tunnel" or something like that, and, even with that, it requires a bit of preparation.

Thirdly, you entered a dwarf town, which is like entering a maze ... as RAY CHARLES.

If you happen to give it another go, start out as a human in a human town, with equipment and skills, and give it another go. 

The human civs are the only ones fleshed out and organized in any way at the moment, and, if you stick to them for your civic needs, quest gathering, economic stuff, and social interactions, while hunting out targeted monsters with, you know, weapons, and, ahem, the ability to use them, you'll find it a lot less bland.

It's missing a lot, definitely.  I'd just venture to say that you sadly took a bite out of a delicious pie made mostly of yummy apples and partly of sand.  You just happened to bite the sand part.  Bad luck, mate.  Here's to hoping you get a better nibble for dessert. 

Cheers!
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:56:02 pm »

Well that's good to know. I mean, I figured it was early alpha...just not quite that alpha. I'll roll up the right way this time, and go find a nice haunted forest to play around in instead.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:09:50 pm »

That's the spirit!  Also, consider playing around with the world gen params to make a world specific to adventuring.  The typically good world for fort mode might not be as good for adventure mode.  Jack up the number of civ entities, increase the number of caves, I believe this will increase the chances of megabeasts surviving through the ages. 

Worlds with longer gens like 500+ years will have highly advanced societies with lots of roads and tunnels and large cities and intricate diplomatic stuff, but it's better to shoot for around 200 or so, so you get a nice mix of civ advancement and megabeasts still being alive, which will give you the best of both worlds and thus the most content and least blandness! 
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 03:18:44 am »

And make caves visible. This way you have critters and semimegabeasts to kill (you).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 07:48:18 am »

I don't think you used T(for travel), it means you don't have to walk everywhere, won't get starving or hungry, magically heals wounds and is about 100x faster.
Meh.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 12:53:06 pm »

Yep, I discovered that in my second play through (where I had an epic battle strangling a quest wolf, then was brutally murdered for sleeping in an owned bed.)

I was actually kind surprised by the travel option. As hardcore as DF is, I seriously thought you had to move across every world tile on foot in Adventure Mode. It also kind of contributed to the sense of emptiness though, knowing that the mode is designed with fast travel in mind and that traveling by foot isn't very interesting.

Will definitely mess with the world gen parameters next time too. Thanks for all the tips.

kungasi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:36:58 pm »

nub DF player/adventurer here, but how do i enter a town/etc. from the travel screen? ??? so far the only way i've been able to leave the travel screen was when i ran into animals... halp plox? ???

though i will say that earlier today, i was adventuring and killed a wolf with i think competent hammerdwarf skill and sent it flying like 15+ tiles right into a tree at which point it exploded into gore XD needless to say, i lol'ed IRL
Your a dwarf dammit! The game gives you a challenge and you over come it in the most confusing and resource expending way possible!

Nubbify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 06:44:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure you need to press the "<" or ">" button to leave the travel screen.

kungasi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:47:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure you need to press the "<" or ">" button to leave the travel screen.

THANK YOU!!! XD

Edit: you'd think Toady would put something like that in the help screen...
nvm, im using the mike mayday tileset so the < and > are replaced with the stairs up and stairs down icon -.-
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:18:27 pm by kungasi »
Your a dwarf dammit! The game gives you a challenge and you over come it in the most confusing and resource expending way possible!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 07:16:18 pm »

While that would be nice, the wiki is still very handy.

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 09:32:06 pm »

As this seems to be the noob corner and because I would feel embarrassed to start a thread because of my probably stupid question:
How can I fill my waterskin?? I know that shift+I is the key but it just doesn't work... standing next to a murky water pool, standing next to a river, jumping in the pool...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 09:44:45 pm »

Shift L is the keys you want.

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 10:08:07 pm »

Wiki told me shift+I for advanced interaction, this actually toggles my inventory for interaction but after pressing the key for my waterskin the game tells me that "there is noting to do with my shiny-new-waterskin". When i press shift+L nothing happens.