Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pitting  (Read 802 times)

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
Pitting
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:22:32 pm »

How do I put a bunch of goblins in a 1 x 1 pit without the "Urist cancels pit; interupted by Goblin McPitted"?

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Pitting
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:24:47 pm »

You can, as of current version, build a bridge to block your dorfs from seeing the goblins. You can still toss things into the pit, even with the bridge there. It'll keep the gobbies out of sight.

Of course this is an exploit. If you're into fair-play, enjoy your dwarves running around like maniacs canceling their jobs like there was a damn RHESUS MACAQUE on the loose.

EDIT: I can't help but point out how fun it is to let loose a wild macaque into your dining hall. Nobody gets hurt but it's like, "EVACUATE THE WHOLE GOD-DAMNED FLOOR IMMEDIATELY!"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:28:11 pm by Duelmaster409 »
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:54:19 am »

Take the eyes out of your dwaves body tags?
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 01:48:47 am »

Perhaps more realistically than using a bridge, I've found that my dwarfs will pit stuff into a 1x1 pit covered with a hatch cover.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 01:57:33 am »

You can't construct the hatch cover if gobbies are under it. Your constructor freaks out. The bridge works better.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 04:18:54 am »

How do I put a bunch of goblins in a 1 x 1 pit without the "Urist cancels pit; interupted by Goblin McPitted"?

Make the pit 20 z-levels deep.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 08:47:47 am »

Thanks for the advice. the pit is currently empty, so I'll go hatch cover route.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 09:14:55 am »

Apply magma.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 12:56:02 am »

There's always one...
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 01:26:19 am »

if you have magma handy, then you might want to create a goblinite sorter.

Your standard goblinite sorter involves a couple of things. First, you have an enclosed pit, it has to be magma tight. Second, you have a pump connected to a magma resevoir. Finally you will want a method of draining the pit of magma. letting the magma flow out of the pit works, but can be slow. You can experiment with differing methods of draining the pit and find one that suits you.

The goblinite sorter separates the undesirable bits of the goblin, (the skulls, the socks, and other junk items) from the usable bits of goblinite ore (iron or better weaponry/armor). The thing to remember with this is... A) you typically will not get any bones from this, meaning no bone bolts for your marksdwarves. If you have an ample supply from butchery, or that last siege, then this is less of an issue. B) The separation process isn't 100% efficient and you may find that you are slagging things you dont want to lose, this is stuff like copper and the various bags, you can go through each goblin's inventory and selectively dump these things if you wish to keep them, but it may just be easier to slag them and get the copper/bags from your trade partners. C) The Goblinite slag is also potentially very valuable, if you do not have an active economy, you may very well want to dispatch the goblins in a more mundane method and use the slag material as trade goods.

My most recent goblin pit example.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-21265-gvsrfinished
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"