Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Most eXtreme Challenge: Training Hammers and Swimming at same time  (Read 824 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I read somewhere about the "Tower of Doom": put a barracks on top of a tower & give the dwarves hammers to train with.  (If you don't know what the result of that combination is, take a moment to think about it - yes, what you'd think might happen, does happen).  So I had the idea, why not place the tower of doom out over the middle of a river, so that when the dwarves knock each other off, they end up in the water, and have to learn swimming to get out!

It actually works, and it's funny as hell.  Only thing is, the three remaining recruits are only dabbling swimmers still after nearly 3 seasons of this abuse.  (Hammer skill is training nicely, at least.)  Only one dwarf faired differently:  she got trapped in the current and ended up stuck on a tile where the river drains, so she couldn't get out but also didn't drown because the drain tile kept cycling down to 4-5 so she could get air.  She got to skilled swimmer before I got a miner to dig her a ramp to get out.  I made her sheriff to celebrate her "achievement" and gave her a nice bedroom & office.

I say three "remaining" because out of 12 immigrants I killed about 8 before I realized dabbling swimmers can't actually make it the whole length of the river before drowning...   I mean, I could have guessed after the first 2 but it's best to be sure, right?  Besides, managing the immigrant horde could be considered a feature of this setup, not a bug.

Oh, update:  both the sheriff and a hammerdwarf got trapped in the same edge of the river tile.  The hammerdwarf leveled up some in swimming.

So how might I improve this idea so that I get more swimming skill developing out of it?  I had to dig a tunnel just now to rescue the sheriff and hammerdwarf, and I just noticed that if I dig a tunnel as close as possible to the river drain tiles, angling backwards, it only fills up to 4-5, not 7.  Presumably it also has a lot of water flow due to this (it would probably make a good place for a waterwheel!!).  Maybe I should expand this to make a swimming pool and relocate the tower of doom over it?  I could build walls to & a door to trap the dwarves inside for brief periods of time.

Here's what I've learned so far:
- You have to have the bridge/barracks suspended 1 Z level higher than the water, and no bridges nearby, else the better swimmers will hop back up onto it and not gain experience from swimming to a distant ramp.
- Unfortunately that height also means novice swimmers will be stunned when they hit the river floor, which sets them panicing & drowning.  (Can dwarves climb directly out of 4-5 water onto a bridge, or only 7 water?)
- I can't get my soldiers to spar at Weapon Racks at all, only at Armor Stands.  Or is it that I have to make the room 3x3?  (For the Weapon Rack, I only made a 1x1 barracks.)  (You can't build bed barracks outside unfortunately.)
- You have to work the new immigrants up to swimming slowly, starting with exit ramps nearer and gradually farther down the river.  You can control access to the ramps with D-O-(r)estricted traffic areas, but if a dwarf practically lands on top of the near exit ramp by chance, you just can't fit enough restricted tiles to convince him not to proceed to it.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone

Haha, sounds like the ultimate dwarven sport. Do dwarves not take damage if they fall into water of a certain depth?

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile

Haha, sounds like the ultimate dwarven sport. Do dwarves not take damage if they fall into water of a certain depth?

That's actually a very good question. Do dwarves, or anything, take damage when falling into water from a large height at ALL? I wouldn't really consider water to be an obstacle, anyway.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile

Some folks did an experiment with water and falling damage in the "Dwarven Air Drop" thread...the end result (for this version at least) was that water did absolutely nothing to stop the falling damage. In fact the only thing it -did- do was supply carp to the area to nibble up the bits that were left drifting.
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's like those giant sumo Q-Tip fights!
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

If you can manage it, I'd recommend making the Failure Moat of uneven depths, so even a novice will alternate between fine and drowning. For extra sadism, make pressure plates control the exits, so the dwarf will flail from one end to the other before chance allows him to escape.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that experiment did show that the top of the water counted as the impact surface, so while falling in the moat wasn't any better than falling on the ground next to it, it was better than falling in the same moat while empty.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh haha I like the pressure plates idea - I'm interested in any way to automate it, otherwise I have to forbid/unforbid hatches or use traffic zones.

So, it turns out you can get a really fine gradation of fill heights depending on how close to the edge you channel.  For instance, I breached the river bed as close as possible to the edge, and it only filled up to 3.  I dug another tunnel 2 spaces back and it went to 4.  Not sure if that's because I have such a wide river - ten tiles.  Counting the map edge that you can't dig as #1, the best place to breach the river seems to be #6 back - it fills to 4 with a 5 floating around.  Digging out channel #5 from the edge might be safer; that would never go above 4 I think.

IIRC the dropping into a water test found that for falling, water might as well not even be there.  I don't think it possible that landing on the surface of water is like hitting surface of ground, because otherwise you could drop dwarf on top of deep ocean and he'd impact from just a few feet - I'm pretty sure instead he impacts the sea floor and dies.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could you just flood the whole barracks to 4/7 and get them to do both at the same time all the time? 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...