Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catacombs of Paris  (Read 1915 times)

Archpaus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Need château Yquem to get through the working day
    • View Profile
Catacombs of Paris
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:06:41 pm »

Here is a nice distraction for you until the new version of our beloved game :

http://www.catacombes.explographies.com/
Choose you language at the bottom.

It is the history and maps of the underground under Paris : 300 km of galleries !  ;D  There is even pictures and descriptions of mushroom farming  and block making 8)

For the curious, it is possible to visit a small part of it at the metro station Denfert-Rochereau. But the big part of it is (theoricaly  ;) ) unaccessible.

Edit : for the lazy, here is a link to a part of the map http://exploration.urban.free.fr/catacombes/v5-zoom-us.htm

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:16:44 pm by Archpaus »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Catacombs of Paris
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:24:40 pm »

What I want to see someday, when the NPC mountainhomes are actually functional cities and not just a series of empty stone rooms, are levels and levels of catacombs below the inhabited areas of the fortress, just like these.

They would be randomly generated, chaotically (using the mathematics of chaos theory which I am sure Toady can explain better than I), and be populated with zombies and wraiths, as well as the loot of the tombs of millennia of dwarven rulers.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Archpaus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Need château Yquem to get through the working day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:00:22 pm »

[...]

They would be randomly generated, chaotically (using the mathematics of chaos theory which I am sure Toady can explain better than I), and be populated with zombies and wraiths, as well as the loot of the tombs of millennia of dwarven rulers.

Last time I worked on chaos theory was ten years ago but I am pretty sure that you mean fractal, or simple algorithms. But let us not derail.

To the point : I have yet to encounter underground zombies, even if I have seen strange things, but I heard that you can encounter dwarven fortress guards under Paris. And you guess what ? They fine you if they get you !

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:06:24 pm »

The same goes by the way for Berlin thought we got farmore Nazi and GDR architecture down there. The nazies had thought quiet a number of "underground fortress" like places.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:40:01 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_Clan

The actual site is long gone (or at least I don't have the current one) and the amazing photos, maps, videos and stories they had of the Melbourne and Sydney drains, subway systems, bridges and abandoned buildings.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 03:31:10 am »

Keep in mind that the place is always REALLY FUCKING CROWDED. And hideously expensive, like most things in the city.

If you need a DF related vacation to France, i suggest Normandy. Quite a lot of bunkers and tunnels along the coast, the food is good, the locals understand a bit of English and there's more museums then tourists. My recommendations are the tapestry in Bayeux, the Caen memorial museum and Pointe du Hoc.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE