Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Damn Orks  (Read 2529 times)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Damn Orks
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 07:11:59 am »

Oh snaps, I forgot to mention about them being fungi. I was going to, seriously! I think I forgot about that by the second line though.

Would ork's in DF world first start with wooden gear, work up to copper, then to iron and finally to steel though?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 09:18:19 am »

^ They likely would find the HFS, krum da squiggly flamin fings an' take deir stuff ta da mekshop for sum flash dakka.

*Brain sizzles*

Wow, Orky overload.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 11:09:48 am »

For the first few years, or until I get 3 champions with slashing weapons, I just turtle, draw them in, and then shoot them. It's not very much fun, but it's the only way to live.
This is why I've done many other things to dig deeper orcs. Looking through the raws I really have to wonder if the maker ever did any remarkable playtesting or had any goal in mind while making them other than "bigger, badder goblins".

nowanmai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 12:23:44 pm »

Makes me stop and think.  ???
Aww, f*ck no, I'm good with orcs and how are they now. I might be drunk as any dwarf, but for f*cks sake don't make 'em like that!  :'(
I like the Tolkienesque orcs better.
Besides, the thread name was a mistype, as I was drunk also, so that kinda also.  :D
Peace out to all the f*cked up dwarves, who consume too much of any given substance!  ;)

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 12:22:45 pm »

I don't mind the [trAPAVOID], it doesn't seem to matter when the orcs suddently find themself airborne over a 23 Z-level artificial chasm.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 01:40:09 pm »

Time to mod orcs to have [FLIER] and some other tags...

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 02:30:24 pm »

The point of [trAPAVOID] wasn't to be realistic, it was to force players away from the loltraps defenses that are so common. You have to grow a beard and take the orcs in hand to hand combat, or else out engineer them with a ridiculously complicated trap like a magma path, drowning pit, or landmines. If you can't do that, orcs aren't for you, simple as that. Without trapavoid, orcs are just goblins without snatchers.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 04:05:30 pm »

The point of [trAPAVOID] wasn't to be realistic, it was to force players away from the loltraps defenses that are so common. You have to grow a beard and take the orcs in hand to hand combat, or else out engineer them with a ridiculously complicated trap like a magma path, drowning pit, or landmines. If you can't do that, orcs aren't for you, simple as that. Without trapavoid, orcs are just goblins without snatchers.

True, that's the essence of orcs.
I can't wait for sieges to get improved.
I want armies of mersoldiers raising from the sea because a guy wanted to farm their bones,
and Goblins digging random tunnels in the mountain until they end up in a HFS!

Off topic, did anyone notice that when anyone tries to write [trAPAVOID] the "tr" part is always in lower case, even if typed in upper case?

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 04:17:25 pm »

Oh snaps, I forgot to mention about them being fungi. I was going to, seriously! I think I forgot about that by the second line though.

Would ork's in DF world first start with wooden gear, work up to copper, then to iron and finally to steel though?
They'd probably make rock shootas and choppas. Remember, thanks to their retcon, ork weapons work because they know they'll work, not because they have anything as complected as...moving parts
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 05:10:28 pm »

I would buy this as acceptable except for a small issue;

Orcs are strong enough that an engineered trap is the only way to deal with them until your dwarves are strong enough that they are no longer a concern. Have you looked at their RAW entries? No fear, no pain, large size, default attack with the same damage as carp, lockpicking, metal_pref, and that's just off the top of my head. They are not "just goblins without snatchers,", they are juggernauts. Each one is likely capable of taking at least an average of 3 dwarves, assuming that the dwarves themselves are pretty average and not superpowered champions.

Let Goblins have the trapavoid, Orcs are nasty enough without it.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 06:44:07 pm »

They have building destroyer 1 in the new version.
And plus, traps are top broken either way, able to annahilate orcs and goblins alike. So, the stronger force should get trapavoid.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 09:03:51 pm »

Off topic, did anyone notice that when anyone tries to write [trAPAVOID] the "tr" part is always in lower case, even if typed in upper case?
The lower-case "tr" thing is just a forum bug, nothing to be concerned about. Nothing at all...

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 09:54:50 pm »

And plus, traps are top broken either way, able to annahilate orcs and goblins alike.
Traps are a problem; however, rendering them altogether useless is not the solution, considering, again, how ridiculous Orcs are as written. Don't like traps? Don't use them!

Besides, what makes drowning contraptions acceptable when regular traps aren't? Both are 100% effective against anything that can't avoid it ([FLIER] for the first, [trAPAVOID] for the second), and the only thing the first requires is a token knowledge of machinery and an infinite source of water, since it's not like you'll ever run out of space. Citing 'effort' as a reason is pure semantics when the end result is the same.
Pages: 1 [2]