Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Examinging object/building should show happy thoughts it generated recently  (Read 1230 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I recently placed an artifact millstone in my meeting area in the hopes that it would be admired and generate happy thoughts, but the only way to tell if it's working is to periodically look at the thoughts of each and every dwarf, scanning for the word "millstone" and/or the artifact's name.  It would be a lot easier if I could just examine the millstone itself to see who has been admiring it.

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a great idea.  I don't know how that information is stored; it's possible the database search overhead would be high.  On the other hand, even if the info is stored only in the dwarfs' currently, it'd be easy enough to create another data structure in the item and whenever a happy thought is generated add it to the dwarf's list and the item's list.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But, But that doesn't make any sense!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But, But that doesn't make any sense!
Until it is written in stone which role the player takes, it is. One of the roles will be all-knowing spirit of the fortress anyway, so it will make sense sooner or later. It also opens up possibilities for metaphysical/sphere-related stuff (said millstone generating a sphere of joy because so much joy has happened around it, etc.).
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile

The problem is the memory overhead.In a dwarf the thought gets deleted after a while. While your idea would store the data for a eternety which a a serious number of objects brings df to a memory-crawl.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

The problem is the memory overhead.In a dwarf the thought gets deleted after a while. While your idea would store the data for a eternety which a a serious number of objects brings df to a memory-crawl.

Huh?  The thread title says "thoughts it generated recently."

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be stored as a # of happy thoughts rather than the actual thoughts, in that case of course.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

Since those happy thoughts vanish from the dwarf's thoughts, how about they only appear on the building/artifact/thingy as long as a dwarf has a happy thought from that object?  It would be nice if actual names were mentioned too, for OCD purposes.