Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Track clusters and veins via stocks menu  (Read 524 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Track clusters and veins via stocks menu
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:59:22 pm »

It would be nice if veins of ore and clusters of gems could be tracked by the stocks menu, so I wouldn't have to waste hotkeys on them.  (The requested search-for-and-zoom-to-notes feature would help, but the game automatically taking care of it would be even better.) Doing this might require that the game create meta-info about the clusters/veins when a site is first generated, since I think it likely that without it the idiotic dwarven book keeper would come up with stupid results.

It would be even better if it was smart enough to track things like clusters of kaolinite, since they can contain turquoise, but not track clusters of microcline, even though kaolinite and microcline are both value 1 non-economic rock.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Track clusters and veins via stocks menu
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 03:21:25 pm »

I think it might be more useful to just have a way to mark a cluster/vein in some way.

E.g. I prefer first doing explorative digging on an entire Z-level and then dig out gem clusters and ore veins after the entire pattern is done. Marking the interesting locations and then being able to cycle over them later would be useful enough.
Like a mix of the current hotkeys and current notes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:57:01 pm »

Having the record keeper make notes of each cluster/vein found, maybe marking the point of discovery with the option to zoom to it, would be very useful. I'd also like to see some way of organizing the things viewed in lists in general, like the unit list, so i can search for specific objects (dead/alive, my civ/other civ, creatures by biome/alignment/tame/untame) without scrolling through 20+ pages, and this would be one of those things that would need it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:37:13 am »

to expand on this idea: how about a 'mine on demand' designation? It would allow you to mark tiles of veins/clusters to be minded only space exists in a relevant stockpile, or let the stuff be mined when it is needed, if no stockpile exists.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:37:56 am »

How about adding "Notes" to the stocks menu.

When you step into the individualized list, you end up with exactly whatever list you wanted:
- Chasm Entrance
- Cluster - Magnetite
- Cluster - Olivine
- Defense - Main Drawbridge
- Defense - Moat fluid control
- Defense - Magma cannon
- Vein - Platinum