Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What are the secrets of your fortress designs?  (Read 6257 times)

andy1005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are the secrets of your fortress designs?
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2009, 10:15:22 am »

I'm still fairly new to Dwarf Fortress as a whole, I've read through the wiki for DF numerous times and created several forts but one of the key problems I have is innovation starvation - as in... My ideas tend to be very flat predictable things.

However what I do with most forts that I create: I consider garbage dumping stone/materials to be cheating so I have a grand depository that is usually extremely huge and taking up a large section of the fortress and then situate rooms around it with workshops.

I'm not a very violent person so I consider killing the goblins/orcs (I put in) to be inhumane... So I create cuboid fortresses that are enclosed and wont allow arrows in at all or any arrows out at all. Invaders are made to lumber around outside my fortress while the inner-workings of my fortress continue at a reduced rate. As said before I wont kill invaders, instead I construct cage traps to capture my enemies and imprison them indefinately.

Scope

• Bay Watcher
  • tophats, oh tophats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2009, 10:24:21 am »

I'm not a very violent person so I consider killing the goblins/orcs (I put in) to be inhumane... So I create cuboid fortresses that are enclosed and wont allow arrows in at all or any arrows out at all. Invaders are made to lumber around outside my fortress while the inner-workings of my fortress continue at a reduced rate. As said before I wont kill invaders, instead I construct cage traps to capture my enemies and imprison them indefinately.

What kind of dwarf are you?

DCd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2009, 01:53:02 pm »

I Tend to do funny outside constructions. Nevermind the stuff inside, i do that square and efficient, i just want a nafty device that burns everything near my entrance with magma. That needs some serious walling though. (since i don't want to burn the trees and piss off the elves yet.

Megaconstrucions are nice, but take time =( I should just assign everyone to mason/miner after i get ~150 people in my fortress. Also, it looks great on 3dfortress/similar if there's huge constructions in elf hippie style natural formations.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2009, 02:03:39 pm »

I've come up with what I think is a reasonably decent solution to the animal pathing problem. All of my animals get pitted into a tiny hole in the ground, which is connected to the rest of the fortress by a floodgate-closed corridor. That way the animals are on a separate component from the rest of the map for purposes of pathfinding, which means they use up very little CPU. But since they aren't in cages, they can still breed. On the rare event that I need to butcher some animals, I can release them from the pit, butcher what I need, and then re-pit the rest (there are ways to avoid having to re-pit the animals, but since I need to slaughter them so rarely, I don't bother).

The only problem I have with this setup is that I like to keep a couple of free dogs for guard duty, but it's very hard to tell in the pitting interface which animals are in the pits and which aren't.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2009, 03:04:00 pm »

The kind who keeps orcs and goblins trapped in small cages forever.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2009, 05:33:21 pm »

The kind who keeps orcs and goblins trapped in small cages forever.
I have an idea. Why not have a sort of prison built? One that uses an airlock of sorts to deposit goblins (even if they're still armed), and not ever escape. Let's see just how many can be packed into a single space sans quantum storage.

And when you feel the time is right; toss in a megabeast when one get captured or something. or send a catsplosion after them.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2010, 01:29:14 am »

When it comes to Fortress design, I am constantly plagued by an irrational need to live up to Moria, which means I have a large number of cavernous, pillared, non-square, monolithic rooms to make my fortress seem grand and awe-inspiring, often with one unassumiong entrance, and a lot of empty space to make the fort feels semi-deserted. As far as effiency goes, I mainly only consider how close the dining area is to the food stores, workshops to materials, depot to goods, and dorms to dining/meeting area. ANd even these rules are often gleefully broken if I find a neat way to connect a series of rooms. I tend to expand the size of my fortresses REEEEELLY slowly. I even disable invasions in the init file for the first five years or so, so that I don't need to worry about defenses (Defenses by far being my worst design skill). And as such, my dwarves have plenty of time to walk around. So it's mostly just art for me, I guess.

My current fort is much, much smaller than most I tend to build. This is because I took pains to make sure that I had all my rocks picked up and surfaces smoothed (And most engraved). I'm building it around a volcano in a tower/castle setup with four "Spiral" staircases with hallways between them. I suppose I should mention here that I am a HUGE fan of multiple z-levels. After all, how are you supposed to dig deep if you stay at sea-level?

I'll put up pictures of as soon as I figure out how the hell to get them saved right.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2010, 04:41:53 am »

Generally, a central staircase with more staircases from important room to important room works. I do like taking a natural rock formation and turning it into a room for a noble though - in one of my underwater forts, I hollowed out a small "island" (water above, but on that z-level there was a small bit of soil connecting it to the "mainland") underneath the water into a noble's room.

Like so:

Code: [Select]
>#~~~~~~~~ - surface
X###~~~~~~~ - water
X######~~~# - "island"
X==========^ - dug through here
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Psithief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2010, 12:10:41 pm »

I don't use walls.
That way the fastest way from A to B is through someone's bedroom.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]