Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unique start location  (Read 988 times)

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
Unique start location
« on: January 24, 2010, 02:31:57 pm »

I found this collection of extreme peaks rising from a mountainous swamp.

The world is medium size with seed 0, no other custom settings.  The location is about halfway up on the world map and to the left in the main mountain range within a swamp called the Tapered Mire.  Mountain is called  The Axe of Soots.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Unique start location
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:38:53 pm »

How high are said peaks? Looks to me about 90.

How many embark tiles is it, and what features does it have? Looks like you have a bottomless pit, do you have purring maggots or a GCS? Flux, water, magma, HFS, anything else? If you have magma, water, flux, and HFS, you're in good shape.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:39:11 pm »

Screenshot of embark, please?
It's easier than telling us. :P

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 02:57:01 pm »

The map occupies levels 280 - 134 total, the swamp being at 149 and the tops of the mountains at about 265.  There are aquifers.  The visual fortress screenshot is of a 8x8 start location.  There's a chasm feature to the north east I think.  I haven't done any digging.  Here's a screen of the location:

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:59:46 pm »

and yeah, that's a pit you see there.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 03:16:25 pm »

Looks like the ultimate 'build a tower' embark. I wonder if worldgens will create the same world, ignoring history and names, in the new version? ...But then again, there's the new unlimited z-level feature...

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 03:28:02 pm »

If you open your INIT file, you can change some options to show features like magma, HFS, UGR/UGPs and chasms in the Embark window.

1) Open your INIT file. It will be under the directory: Dwarf Fortress/data/init/init.txt

2) Find the line that says [SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:NO] (and a bunch of other stuff.)

3) Change NO to ALWAYS for all other items (eight of them) and save the file. Restart Dwarf fortress. You can now view site features from the embark screen.

4) ???

5) Profit
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 03:55:41 pm »

Ooh, that's even taller than my mountain (only 100 compared to your 116).

By the way, when you post images, I would suggest using the direct link inside IMG tags inside Spoiler tags, like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 08:00:56 pm »

Just look at all that orthoclase and microcline.  Simply terrifying, and also kind of silly when you stop to think about it.  If mountains in real life were like their DF counterparts, every mountain would look like a rainbow.  Still, nifty find there.  Not enough magma to suit my tastes, but nifty just the same.
Sanity is for the weak.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 08:04:06 pm »

If you look at parts of the Grand Canyon, the layers has a slight deviation to them, granted it goes from 'rocky' color to 'a slightly different shade of rocky' color. Certainly not from screamin' light blue to dark green.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 09:43:20 pm »

If you look at parts of the Grand Canyon, the layers has a slight deviation to them, granted it goes from 'rocky' color to 'a slightly different shade of rocky' color. Certainly not from screamin' light blue to dark green.
Well, such is the weakness of tile-based systems; and, you know, unrealistic rock placement and etc.
But in the next version, I think rock pockets are going to span z-levels! I'm probably more excited about that then I should be.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 11:08:57 pm »

Worldgen Now.