Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Watchdogs  (Read 513 times)

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Watchdogs
« on: January 26, 2010, 04:02:56 am »

A new dog training option: Watchdog.

He counts as a military unit (can be assigned to a spot and stays more or less on the spot). If he detects an enemy in any way (should smell hidden enemies farther than right next to him) He pauses the game as with any enemy encounter.

You could also leave a soldier unit who owns a watchdog (which you can do now), but the dog detects hidden enemies better.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Watchdogs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:21:06 am »

prehaps watch dogs have the ability to patroll/be stationed like military units?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 05:35:44 am »

prehaps watch dogs have the ability to patroll/be stationed like military units?

Thinking on it a bit more, I think it's not even required to let them be directly controlled as a military unit. I think it's more correct to let them be assigned to a military unit and simply be a new type of training centered on hidden unit detection rather than fighting strength.

So you could have dwarf rangers, patrolling with their bloodhounds.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 06:28:35 am »

I like, the focus on detecting hidden enemies is both logical for dogs and something the game needs badly.  I have a suggestion on Eternal Suggestions along a similar vein for a 'scout' profession that would give a dwarf increased detection ability.  I wouldn't give dogs the ability to patrol a set of way-points that's a bit too sophisticated for a dog, but stationing them in a location or accompanying their master sounds good, I'd give them to my Fishers and Lumberjacks so they can get a few precious moments of warning when their ambushed.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download