Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assign rooms to position, in addition to the dwarves the  (Read 827 times)

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Assign rooms to position, in addition to the dwarves the
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:36:00 am »

If you replace a noble with another dwarf, you need to reassign the office and other rooms to the new noble.  An prime example would be the Mayor, you can't control who becomes mayor and by this time he should have an office and private dining.  When a new mayor gets elected, the old mayor should automatically move out of the mayor's manor and clear out his desk at the office so the new one can move in.

A solution:  when [a]ssigning rooms, there should be a sub menu with "Individual [d]warves" and "[n]oble positions", where the later option gives a list of current available positions as seen on the [n]oble/administrators menu.

EDIT: reworded title.

[ November 19, 2007: Message edited by: Klokjammer ]

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assign rooms to position, in addition to the dwarves the
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 02:48:00 am »

seconded.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 04:51:00 am »

I also agree with this idea, however I was wondering how you saw it working with a dwarf that is more than one noble position.

For example my broker and leader/mayor are almost always the same person. If i assigned rooms to both positions does that dwarf just end up with lots of rooms? or simply select the best from the choices every so often (every so often incase things change)

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 06:26:00 am »

Priority:
1) Use own, dwarf-assigned room
2) Use nearest free job-assigned room
3) Spam complaints. A lot.

[ November 19, 2007: Message edited by: Core Xii ]

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 11:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shades:
<STRONG>I also agree with this idea, however I was wondering how you saw it working with a dwarf that is more than one noble position.

For example my broker and leader/mayor are almost always the same person. If i assigned rooms to both positions does that dwarf just end up with lots of rooms? or simply select the best from the choices every so often (every so often incase things change)</STRONG>

Just assign only one of those professions to an office, you don't have to give every noble an office.  If you want, you can give him two offices and make him happy to have more assets.

Although my fortress, the broker doesn't get an office or anything special since he has a day job like everyone else, and he's not useful until the caravan comes.  Also note that the mayor cannot meet with the liaison if he's in the depot trading, so In my opinion, this is a bad combination.

[ November 19, 2007: Message edited by: Klokjammer ]

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?