Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragonfire and Silking Idea  (Read 856 times)

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Dragonfire and Silking Idea
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:22:31 am »

Although it has probably been noted that there should be a system in which you can play a Dragon or Giant Cave Spider and use their firebreath/silking power, I think I have come up with a cool way to do that for a CPU. This is taken from my modding topic about dragons.

There should be two new body token: "[FIREGLAND:#tiles:ConeofFireo:tempo]" and "[SILKGLAND:#tiles:ConeofFireo]", which would determine that the body part is capable of producing either webbing or fire. You would construct a body part like this:

Code: [Select]
[BODY:DRAGON_GIZZARD]
[BP:DGIZZARD:gizzard][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][INTERNAL][SMALL][FIREGLAND:24:45:10800]

[BODY:GIANT_SPINNERET]
[BP:GSPINNERET:spinneret][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][SMALL][SILKGLAND:10:20]

Then, using the [f]ire key, the option to spit fire/webbing using the marksman system is available. In the above examples, the adventure would shoot fire that would consume 24 tiles in a 45o angle from the point of fire at a temperature equal to the homeothermic value of a fire man (and, maybe even the inverse with ice dragons that freeze enemies). The body part will then need a few steps to refill its sac.

However, you could also do something like this:

Code: [Select]
[BODY:2GIZZARDS]
[BP:RGIZZARD:right gizzard][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][INTERNAL][SMALL][RIGHT][FIREGLAND:24:45:10800]
[BP:LGIZZARD:left gizzard][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][INTERNAL][SMALL][LEFT][FIREGLAND:24:45:10800]

Then, the character would have the ability to shoot two jets of fire immediately, but would then need to wait for at least one of them to refill after the other has.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:04:51 pm by Iban »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfire and Silking Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:57:23 am »

Agreed.

Also, a tag for weaponry which gives the weapon some sort of explosive behaviour - I would really like globadiers hurling flasks of poison / oil / liquid fire at the enemy.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:11:23 am »

This should also include the new projectile attacks, so that we can have special glob glands in the hands which can then be chopped off.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 01:04:30 pm »

I like it. We should definitely have more of these types of things in the game.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:26:56 am »

I'm glad you guys like the idea. I was somewhat afraid that the community was going to be as mind-numbingly brutal as the game you play.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 07:34:24 am »

I love the idea, it's simple, easy to manipulate to your speficiations, easy to implement to a creature, and would give great customizability to creatures. I'm already imagining enslaved ice men with iceblasting hands turning an entire goblin seige into ice statues for my ice fortress submerged in magma. *Maniacal cackle*

The only negative side to this is the fact that even IF it gets considered by Toady, it won't be implemented until a Creature can finally realize it's a !!Creature!! and do something about it, other than to go rest on a wooden bed inside a room full of wooden beds and other creatures, soon to be !!creatures!!.

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 08:12:40 am »

I really hope I'm not being too presumptuous, but I think that system would be very easy to add. I don't know why it hasn't. A !!Creature!! should immediately be consumed by pain, marked with some sort of condition (a !, perhaps?). If its only on fire because of clothes, it should do a stop-drop-and-roll maneuver to extinguish it. This would be problematic in battle only. If its actual skin is on fire, it should have a considerable amount of pain added to its pain level. Assuming it doesn't "give in," there are already AI systems available that seek water. An ignited dwarf should do exactly that. Nothing that the great Toady shouldn't be able to crunch in a few hours. Other creatures should be wary of those on fire, too.

Considering the sheer complexity of everything else in DF, I really do not think Toady would have any problems with this sort of AI.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:14:47 am by Iban »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 09:49:36 am »

Look I know we stop drop and roll now because we were taught

But what do people, who havn't been taught, do when their clothes catch fire?

To my knowledge they tend to take off their burning clothing or extinguish it standing up.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:03:47 am »

Either way, they would locate water and try and put it out. I was just tossing out ideas.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 07:39:15 pm »

How 'bout something that makes them drop their clothes...
or just something that forces them to quickly seek water and jump in it...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 08:16:03 pm »

I suggest allowing the gland to specify a liquid, gas, or material from elsewhere in the raws that it produces.  It would then shoot this product at people using an attachment with weapon stats -- perhaps another attachment could simply secrete it onto the ground or into your grasps.

That way, people could completely customize their monster's attacks, creating beasts that spit poison, breathe clouds of acid, or (if you want) poop gold.  Lots more room for customized fun stuff, as well as randomized fun stuff.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 08:41:53 pm »

Oo iirc materialbreaths are in the next version with gaseous,liquid,solid and powder attacks inc. poison. Wath is not in is the linking to organs as i understand it.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 11:27:12 pm »

But what do people, who havn't been taught, do when their clothes catch fire?

They run around like crazy and set other people on fire too.