Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gem Armor  (Read 1475 times)

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gem Armor
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

Steam-powered diamonds, how cool would that be?

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>
Though I wonder who coined the term Adamantium first... Dungeons and Dragons or X-men</STRONG>

Marvel comics has the first use of the word 'Adamantium' in July 1969, and Chainmail didn't appear until 1971, and even then I'd wager it didn't appear until AD&D - and even then, in D&D it's called 'Adamantine' instead, so they share the same root, but aren't necessarily the same metal.

[/nerd]

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kidiri:
<STRONG>

It is the hardest known natural material. There are only four materials that are harder. I would hardly call it brittle.</STRONG>

Glass is also hard. But it is also brittle. In fact, it is pretty hard to have brittle soft things.

That said, a diamond armor would require MANY diamonds. Each one is pretty small. To have a plate of them, one needs many. And what would cement them together? It also needs to be very hard.

Now, glass and gem-tipped arrows and bolts, however, should have very good damage. Perhaps, make them as good as iron or even steel ones are?

Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Marvel comics has the first use of the word 'Adamantium' in July 1969, and Chainmail didn't appear until 1971, and even then I'd wager it didn't appear until AD&D - and even then, in D&D it's called 'Adamantine' instead, so they share the same root, but aren't necessarily the same metal.</STRONG>

*Wikis* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamant

"Throughout ancient history, "adamantine" referred to anything that was made of a very hard material. Virgil describes Tartarus as having a screeching gate protected by columns of solid adamantine (Aeneid book VI). Later, by the Middle Ages, the term came to refer to diamond, as it was the hardest material then known, and remains the hardest non-synthetic material known."

Pages: 1 [2]