Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: civilian terror threat levels.  (Read 569 times)

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
civilian terror threat levels.
« on: November 18, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »

So, I'm really annoyed by the pages of <x> cancels <job> : interrupted by <crappy> spam.

I think alot of other people are too.

What I'd like is to be able to have a sliding bar under orders to set the threat level, for example:

[0====] White: Civilians ignore all animals/other races.
[=0===] Green: Civilians cancel jobs/run away from aggressive animals/enemies.
[==0==] Yellow: Civilians cancel jobs/run away from all animals and enemies.
[===0=] Orange: Civilians cancel jobs/run away from any non-tame, non-dwarf.
[====0] Red: Civilians that see any non-tame, non-dwarf NPC automatically sets a station to their location for the nearest on-duty squad. Then they run away.

It's really stupid that a groundhog can scare away 5 woodcutters that are strong/agile/tough etc.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: civilian terror threat levels.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 01:43:00 am »

Totally. This is game-breaking atm.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

Actually I've noticed that most non aggressive animals start running from dwarves before the dwarves run from them this version. Unless they can't get away (cliff in the way, more dwarves on the other side, whatever) job cancellations are rare.

but yes, it is VERY annoying when it happens. I'd like some sort of slider or option for making dwarves not run from groundhogs and marmots.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 11:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by puffs:
<STRONG>
[====0] Red: Civilians that see any non-tame, non-dwarf NPC automatically sets a station to their location for the nearest on-duty squad. Then they run away.</STRONG>

It would be better if summoning the military was a separate option. What if you wanted civvies to summon a squad to fight a cougar but didn't want the military running around everytime someone saw a groundhog?

[ November 19, 2007: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

Let me add my support for this. The only issue i see is that we need to be able to define which critters are hostile. For example: if you're living next to a chasam full of antmen, I don't need my dwarves canceling jobs every time they attempt to cross the bridge, so set the Antmen to no threat (unless they come out). Meanwhile, Wolves are roaming the surface. Them I want the dwarves to run from - set them to flee on sight and report it.

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »

It would be nice if the "dwarves stay indoors"/"dwarves can go outside" orders could be tied into this somehow, cos currently they're broken. I was going to say "they don't do anything", except they actually do lots of stuff.

Somehow, when I set "dwarves stay indoors", some of my dwarves seem to interpret this as an order to all spontaneously rush outdoors. And they're not rushing to pick up stuff off dead goblins either, because I don't have any stockpiles to store the stuff. The dwarves all show as having "no job", but they all decide that they want to run outdoors instead of staying by my nice safe meeting place. And then they complain when they suddenly find they have enormous green glass spikes piercing their legs. Argh, there's a reason you're banned from going outdoors, stupid dwarves. I've actually stopped playing DF lately because of this. It annoys me that you literally can't win unless you actually lock your dwarves inside, even though they have no reason to go outside anyway.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 04:34:00 am »

Gr8 idea, really gamebreaking. One thing that should be on this bar is also, if the bar is high enough that is: "forbid dwarves to retrieve items close to hostile units". Its annoying having to forbid half the region when you settle near a goblin tower, and the have to allow and forbid the entire game.
een failing lately?

madpeople

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 07:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Morlark:
<STRONG>It would be nice if the "dwarves stay indoors"/"dwarves can go outside" orders could be tied into this somehow, cos currently they're broken. I was going to say "they don't do anything", except they actually do lots of stuff.

Somehow, when I set "dwarves stay indoors", some of my dwarves seem to interpret this as an order to all spontaneously rush outdoors. And they're not rushing to pick up stuff off dead goblins either, because I don't have any stockpiles to store the stuff. The dwarves all show as having "no job", but they all decide that they want to run outdoors instead of staying by my nice safe meeting place. And then they complain when they suddenly find they have enormous green glass spikes piercing their legs. Argh, there's a reason you're banned from going outdoors, stupid dwarves. I've actually stopped playing DF lately because of this. It annoys me that you literally can't win unless you actually lock your dwarves inside, even though they have no reason to go outside anyway.</STRONG>

they usually only realize they are going outside once they are outside.

i removed the roof of my entrance and replaced it with floor (so it is considered "indide" + "above ground" instead of "subterranean" so they think they are outside before they actually are, it keeps them where i want them mostly

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

Personally, I'd suggest that fort guards be more concerned about the civilians. If dwarves are being scared off by wildlife, a hunter or fort guard should go to that location and kill the creature. Fort guards doing health care jobs, retrieving wounded, and doing bucket brigades in case of fire would help a lot too. They should guard the dwarves and stealable items of value, not guard the main dining hall.