Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mods  (Read 1352 times)

Elijah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mods
« on: February 13, 2010, 09:31:55 pm »

Hello!
I was going through the mod section, and I've found some intersting projects.

But, all of you veterans of Dwarf fortress, gather around and whisper to me:
Is it worth it?

Would you suggest to put a mod into the original game, or just play the way it is?
The only problem I'm getting is that sometimes, without me making errors, it's difficult to be killed by an unusually big siege, or a big monster.

So, people of all the realsm, what do you suggest?

(Tomorrow I have a D&D session, and I still have to write a story, I'm getting stressed up!)

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
Re: Mods
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:48:59 pm »

I use DIG DEEPER. I use the free adamantine, and free adamantine thread mod found on the wiki. I gives my Dwarves [SPEED:10]. And I deal with vermin in my own special way: I replace all [VERMIN_HATEABLE] and [VERMIN_ROTTER] with [NO_WINTER] and [NO_AUTUMN], then I change penetrate power to [PENETRATEPOWER:0]. All this makes vermin pretty unaffecting during gameplay, only thing you have to worry about is the corpses from your cats during spring and summer.
    All this allows me to focus on my Megaconstructions.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:22:28 pm »

Vanilla DF is far, far too easy; once you're beyond the point where you realistically can expect to make unrecoverable mistakes, you'll essentially never lose except to HFS. Modding, thus, is essential to make the game challenging.

Myself, I play CatSplosion, which makes the playable race sapient cats instead of dwarves. These size 3 carnivores have some of the things that make dwarves so easy removed, such as farming for food and reasonably-easily-available steel equipment, and have significantly weaker weapons and armor compared to standard. Even multi-legendary champion cat soldiers are threatened by goblins that outnumber them 10:1, unlike dwarves, who can often easily take down 20 or 30:1 odds if well-equipped.

I also like some mods that add functionality to the game. Some that I've become inordinately fond of are mods of my own devising that allow the creation of beds and ropes from many animal hides. These are, in my mind, things that should be in vanilla; their absence is just an oversight, so adding them is just nice (especially since in most cases using them is actually a fairly bad idea compared to the preexisting options).

At the current moment, I'm considering trying Relentless Assault... With cats. Just for more challenge. I expect it to be a bit tricky to deal with.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 12:29:09 am »

Trying out mods is definitely worth it! Once you figure out the basics of the standard game it does become fairly easy.

For your first mod, I recommend trying Rysith's Orcs. It simply adds a new civilization to the game: the Orcs, which are much stronger and more aggressive than goblins. Aside from that, the game will work exactly like you're used to. Here's the thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26858.0

If you eventually want something more complex, there are plenty of mods that add new plants and animals, change the playable race, add new civilizations, change things about stone and metal, and/or place Dwarf Fortress is another fantasy setting. Some are bizarre, but others are very well made. Lots of ways to stay entertained until the next official Dwarf Fortress release.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 02:24:28 am »

what do you suggest?

I will second the vote for Dig Deeper. Like others have said, once you're comfortable with vanilla it becomes very difficult to die. Orcs are really nasty and begin sieges far earlier than you're probably used to.

Highly recommended, but be forewarned, orcs will kill you. It may take the destruction of several fortresses before you find a way to deal with them.