Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Beekeeper + mead  (Read 2991 times)

Caledonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Occluded Sun
    • View Profile
Re: Beekeeper + mead
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 10:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Areyar:
<STRONG>Any ideas for the purple biomes?
just killer bees are too real life, i feel.</STRONG>
 I like the sugar ants, but as that's already taken for the 'good' regions, how about spiderwasps?
I am Immortal:  I have inside me blood of kings.
I have no rival:  no man can be my equal.
Take me to the future of your world!

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 10:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>This idea will probably be added while others such as milkable cows.

I agree with Bees... but it should be expanded into other insects as well... Such as Spiders (it is done in real life), Silkworms (other then those Maggots), and Faeries (for pixie dust)</STRONG>

Pixie dust? Don't dwarves already act like they're on drugs enough WITHOUT introducing it to the game? :p

Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

FunkyBomb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

Beekeepers should be able to use smoke to greatly reduce the risk of being stung. That could also be a defense, if your weaponized bees backfire.  :)

Honey dissolved in water might gain another use, when/if healers and medicine are implemented--a low-budget antiseptic to treat wounds with.

Caledonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Occluded Sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 01:21:00 am »

I think we can just say that higher skill significantly reduces the chances of negative consequences.  We don't need to specify smoke and protective gear.

And honey is actually better as an antiseptic when it isn't diluted IIRC.  But your point is a viable one - honey might be able to affect the yet-to-be-implemented system of medicine.

I am Immortal:  I have inside me blood of kings.
I have no rival:  no man can be my equal.
Take me to the future of your world!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 06:59:00 am »

hmmm: :P honied dwarf
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 07:17:00 am »

quote:
Or what? You’ll release the dogs, or the bees, or the dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you? Well, go ahead—do your worst!

it's a new wave in dwarven defenses.

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

King-Panda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2008, 04:09:00 am »

Some ideas for different types of creatures with extracts:

Wax Beetles: They make termite-like hives out of wax. The wax could be made similar to beeswax, and perhaps it could harden to be useful in crafting.

Glue Slugs: Live in small bubble-like sacs, and produce a goo that when mixed with something (water, ash, dirt, whatever), makes a strong-bonding agent.

Ash Salamanders: Make a nest of foraged wood/bark, and produce enough heat to turn it to ash/charcoal.

A use for pixies: Maybe if they were treated properly, like given a small room for a home, and fed/watered/entertained, they could turn small amounts of regular rock and metal into precious rock/metal/gems?

Pitcher Plants: when fed with almost any kind of plant/animal matter, produce nectar/honey. Maybe a dwarven-bred strain produce alochol. :P

Some Ideas for insects in Haunted/Terrifying Areas:

Molten Ants: 3 inch Ants, their bites and stings inject lava into their victims. Trained: Maybe, in large enough amounts, could produce lava?

Rime Locusts: Their flapping wings spread devilish frost over everything they swarm over. They consume their prey once it's flesh is frozen solid. Trained: Could freeze water, perserve food?

Acidpedes: Centipedes with a caustic sting, they quickly dissolve anything foolish enough to stand in their way. Trained: Could mine without leaving stone behind, maybe their acid doesn't affect gems or metal?

I imagine all these things could be trained with an animal trainer, or maybe an "Insect trainer". The Pitcher Plants could be farmed like other plants.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2008, 06:16:00 am »

nice extractable creatures ideas there mate.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Calessa Lynn Orphiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2008, 09:30:00 am »

How about bee sting allergies?
Pages: 1 2 [3]