Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobles with strange preferences?  (Read 860 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nobles with strange preferences?
« on: January 29, 2010, 10:03:58 pm »

So. My current fort has to strange nobles. The mayor loves kobolds, and snaps up any Small clothing I leave claimed. The duke, on the other hand, likes humans. And collects Large clothing, most of which is from the elf caravans I drown to keep trade agreements in line.

Anyone else got wierd nobility?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Nobles with strange preferences?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:25:59 pm »

I once had a Dutchess who was unhealthily fascinated with anvils and donkeys.  I'm not sure I want to know what she was doing with said anvils and donkeys, but she insisted I build her about a dozen of the former...
Sanity is for the weak.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:31:15 pm »

I heard there was a barony where the baroness collected whips and the baron had a preference for leather.

If they were my fort, they'd be long gone from now
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 11:14:29 pm »

Countess likes cat bone. Not cats, just the bone. It is deeply creepy to see every single space of her fairly large rooms absolutely littered with cat totems and cat bone bracelets and crowns and earring and urghgghghgh.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:18:53 pm »

Countess likes cat bone. Not cats, just the bone. It is deeply creepy to see every single space of her fairly large rooms absolutely littered with cat totems and cat bone bracelets and crowns and earring and urghgghghgh.
That's not creepy. She's doing you a favor. An outlet for all that cat bone while you're preventing a catsplosion.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:50:44 pm »

My baroness keeps demanding leopard bone items.  Leopard bone.  Maybe the elves will bring me so leopards to breed...
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 12:22:12 am »

My mayor keeps taking any wood swords that I get and every dog-bone in the fort. He won't even let me turn it in to something before he takes it.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 12:47:51 am »

So say if the king likes narrow clothing he would run in the middle of a siege just to get it from the floor? I never got far enough to get myself a king.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 07:15:59 am »

it's not particularly weird, but it's damn annoying to have a noble who insists that you construct Large Gems, usually 3 at a time, sometimes multiple times in one season. I've got a legendary gem cutter, but damn if I don't go through a lot of raw green glass just to satisfy the freakin' count.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 07:32:38 am »

I heard there was a barony where the baroness collected whips and the baron had a preference for leather.

If they were my fort, they'd be long gone from now
Why? I see lots of people reacting this way and I don't get why it's so creepy.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 07:48:04 am »

Weirdest I've had was a mayor with an unhealthy fascination for buckets.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Gelmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 02:42:30 pm »

Makes my mayor with a fascination for giant cave spider chitin look boring by comparison. Though I'm sure he was pretty mad when I discovered all the GCSes in my fort are zombies, and thus can't be butchered.