Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crash when loading saved game.  (Read 383 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Crash when loading saved game.
« on: January 21, 2010, 12:28:05 am »

I'm playtesting a mod that replaces nearly all creatures and many plants, and am getting a crash when trying to load my saved game. Previously I had been getting embark crashes, but figured out the problem (was related to the necessary inclusion of a plant with [LEAVES]) and embark is successful 100% of the time. Playtesting was going perfectly, and I saved and loaded a couple times as the seasons progressed. However, after the first winter I saved and exited DF entirely to do some rl stuff. When I came back and tried to load, it crashes. Nothing in errorlog.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Any ideas? Really don't want to test file-by-file if it means playing through to winter each time.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
Re: Crash when loading saved game.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:08:23 am »

Yer I get this a lot when I add a new mod.I think it's if you started a fort that save will use the previous RAWs you had before you got the new ones from a mod and it can't find that tag in the RAWs that you had before so it crashes.I think could be the problem. If it isn't I have no idea.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 11:39:13 am »

Hmm, maybe I did accidentally change something in the raws. I emptied the objects folder, regenned the world from the same seed, embarked in the same place, and played again to winter, and am not getting any crashes this time.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 11:43:31 am »

Well, objects are not necessary to remove, it's necessary only when you remove .txt files entirely. DF has some weird issues with modding from time to time, i.e. I had a creature which always crashed a game whenever it appeared, but it was the same as a neighbour, I mean I've changed the name and ID only... Sometimes you have to playtest it for a long time to find the issues of crashes.

Also thanks for the [LEAVES] idea, it was my problem with Dwemer Fortress: The Elder Scrolls mod. When I've added a plant with LEAVES, random crashes disappeared.

it can't find that tag in the RAWs
It would generate an error log, and I think a person who figured out a LEAVES issue has no problems with reading errorlog.txt.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository