Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: History and influence  (Read 770 times)

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
History and influence
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:19:49 am »

Once History is done, the world is kinda static. I'd like to be able to interact with the history to alter the nearby biome and landscape over time. In particular I'd like to be able to influence the world in such a way as to introduce challenges and challenging environments.

For example, what if I built a graveyard in an isolated spot and continually dumped bodies there? Maybe at first it could attract scavengers and carrion-eaters, and over time become a cursed place that attracted and/or bred undead things? I don't mean just "have graveyards spawn zombies" but permanently alter that part of the world as my Fortress progresses, such that in future Reclaims or Adventures, or even a fort located nearby, there is now an undead/evil/whatever region there.

Perhaps if I had extensive tunnels or mining away from my main halls (a nearby peak for example) and that section of mines or tunnels was never or rarely frequented by dwarves, it could attract subterranean wildlife or even settlements of non-dwarf-kind.

I was thinking that something like this could add extra history to the world for subsequent forts as well as letting the player fiddle with extra challenges and add new environmental effects. It would be a little like Dungeon Keeper, where various types of evil buildings would attract various types of evil- only in this version you attract them to fight them, not recruit them. Although... recruiting them would also be cool.

It would also be cool if trade routes generated roads on the world-map, and even more so if the player could send out expeditions to open new trade (or war!) relations which could then become a feature in the world's history. This would be a little like Pahroah and other city-building games, only much cooler because instead of "mission then you're done" you actually shape history.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: History and influence
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:39:24 am »

I really love all of your ideas but I believe Footkerchief will find at least 5 different post which have the same ideas :D
But I found a dev item on the graveyard idea its not exactly the same thouh.

Maps and Sites
  • I.C: Graveyards and other burial arrangements with associated fun stuff (Core68)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:42:37 am by bluephoenix »

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 11:04:57 am »

I'm sure it's been said before. But I like to think I am unusually persuasive.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 02:03:07 am »

I like the idea that history would continue to flow with the changes made in your abandoned/fallen fortress. With the new underground civs in the next release, perhaps they could be made to take over your fort and keep breeding (the same way chasm creatures continually re-spawn at the moment).

When Spheres are dealt with, it'll be interesting to see whether Spheres can be changed or generated by player behaviour (as in your graveyard example).

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 03:21:36 am »

yeah its already been planned for it to continue.
good for more suggestions for it.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!